AIX SP2 Connection to MVS OS/390-Host

Post by johann zeis » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

i have a ESCON-Connection (TCP/IP CLAW) between our SP2 and OS/390 Host (for
ADSM Backup primary).

Speed: ca. 8-9 GBytes/per hour
But 9 GBytes/per hour is a little bit too slow for my amount of data.

Are there quicker Connections (with or without ESCON) ?
What's the quickes Connection ?

regards
J. zeiser

AIX SP2 Connection to MVS OS/390-Host

Post by dwscl » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Johann,

We are presently reviewing a proposal that has appears to have some of the very
features you describe in your environment and we are concerned about what
performance we can expect.  We were wondering how to get much more than 3 or 4
GB per hour through an ADSM Server on S390, which you seem to have surpassed by
a factor of 2 to 3.

Although you don't state it directly, is your ADSM server on the S/390?

Are you running more than a single ADSM client on your AIX system?

Sorry we didn't answer your questions, but may be you could help us answer ours.

Post by Festus van Landingh » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>We are presently reviewing a proposal that has appears to have some of the very
>features you describe in your environment and we are concerned about what
>performance we can expect.  We were wondering how to get much more than 3 or 4

>> i have a ESCON-Connection (TCP/IP CLAW) between our SP2 and OS/390 Host (for
>> ADSM Backup primary).

>> Speed: ca. 8-9 GBytes/per hour
>> But 9 GBytes/per hour is a little bit too slow for my amount of data.

>> Are there quicker Connections (with or without ESCON) ?
>> What's the quickes Connection ?

This throughput is relative common for ADSM -- 250K/second -- though
it's far less than, say, an ftp connection might provide. On the other
hand, nothing beats ADSM (that I know of) for multi-tasking,
multi-threaded backup for disparate platforms. We use it to back up AIX,
OS/2, NT, Novell, and Win95 PCs. Can't beat it.

If you need something faster, try disk mirroring. ADSM cannot compete
with this.

--
Festus v.L.
Drop the "X" from my address to send me e-mail.