Idle user timeouts?

Idle user timeouts?

Post by andy-s.. » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:02:42



Hi,

Is it possible to have an idle user timeout on AIX? I have OpenSSH
installed but for some reason there's no option to kill an idle
session in sshd.config. Smit seems to include every possible parameter
for a user account but idle timeouts.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy

 
 
 

Idle user timeouts?

Post by sp2 admi » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:11:57


export TMOUT=xxx
where xxx is number of idle seconds.

> Hi,
> Is it possible to have an idle user timeout on AIX? I have OpenSSH
> installed but for some reason there's no option to kill an idle
> session in sshd.config. Smit seems to include every possible parameter
> for a user account but idle timeouts.
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> Andy


 
 
 

Idle user timeouts?

Post by andy-s.. » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:23:42


Many thanks,

I found an entry in /etc/profile for TMOUT and used that.

Andy

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:11:57 GMT, sp2 admin


>export TMOUT=xxx
>where xxx is number of idle seconds.


>> Hi,

>> Is it possible to have an idle user timeout on AIX? I have OpenSSH
>> installed but for some reason there's no option to kill an idle
>> session in sshd.config. Smit seems to include every possible parameter
>> for a user account but idle timeouts.

>> Any help would be much appreciated.

>> Andy

 
 
 

Idle user timeouts?

Post by Jerald H. Mathew » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:15:16



> I found an entry in /etc/profile for TMOUT and used that.
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:11:57 GMT, sp2 admin

>>export TMOUT=xxx
>>where xxx is number of idle seconds.

TMOUT will logout the user only if they are at the "shell" prompt.

--
Regards,
Jerry M.
Seen on a Tee Shirt, "Never GREP a YACC by the INODE".

 
 
 

Idle user timeouts?

Post by Randy Styk » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:29:58



> Hi,

> Is it possible to have an idle user timeout on AIX? I have OpenSSH
> installed but for some reason there's no option to kill an idle
> session in sshd.config. Smit seems to include every possible parameter
> for a user account but idle timeouts.

As someone else pointed out, TMOUT only works for users
at a shell prompt.  For other situations, there is a
program called "idled" that might help.  We wrote/sell
a product called LOGMON that monitors the cpu usage for
each user and their child processes.  That way we are
sure the user is idle.  Other solutions, like idled,
will consider a user running a cpu bound job with no
keyboard activity to be idle.


Thanks!
--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

| 4N165 Wood Dale Road           Phone:  630/941-7767             |
| Addison, Illinois  60101 USA   Fax:    630/941-7714             |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

1. user accounting & idle timeout

Hi,

For those Linux, UNIX experts, would you kindly teach how to extract
info from /var/adm/wtmp? I know it store user login, logout time and I
want to do user logon time accounting. I heard that there is a command
'ac' will show user logon time but I can't find it on my system
(Slackware 2.1).

Also, I want to set a idle time out for dialin user. I got 'idled' and
it most most of the time but has a major problem. It seem that the
program can't detect background process which don't require keyboard
input, such as ftp a large file and doing PPP as a client. (my server
act as a dymanic ip assign PPP server) I mean if I set the idle time out
to 15mins. Then I use ftp to get a large file which take longer than
15mins to DL, the process will stop half way and the user will be logout.
And all PPP access won't longer than 15mins. Is there any way to set the
'idled' to check the transfer activity in addition to keyboard input? Or
you guy just use a better idle timeout program?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Li On

2. axppci33: arc-console

3. How to prevent screen locking by users and idle timeout?

4. games lib

5. user accounting & idle timeout

6. Need help- I have 3 HD & want to install RH 5.2 Linux, Win98 & NT 4

7. pkgadd distributions for x86?

8. Idle timeouts and user checking on SCO UNIX

9. Timeout Idle Users

10. killing idle users that don't seem to be idle

11. Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

12. What controls idle timeout?