High Performance Disk Subsystem

Post by Scott Ho » Fri, 08 May 1992 06:37:30

We are currently using a 950 to provide (Oracle) database service for a small
demand application. However, in the near future, we will be adding other
applications which will present significant user load. In order to handle this
load, I would like to consider either the purchase of additional SCSI
interfaces (all our disks are on one SCSI) or a couple of 9333 Disk Subsystems.

My questions are this - has anyone had experience moving from SCSI to the
9333 and if so, what kind of performance changes did you notice? Were they
what you expected?  I am trying to get a feel for which will give the better
price/performance - adding a couple of more SCSI channels, or replacing our
current SCSI disks with the Serial subsystem.

Thanks,
Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Georgia Tech                            UUCP: ..!gatech!prism!scott
Office of Information Technology, Technical Services

1. Tuning Linux for high-speed disk subsystems

Eh, we do 60-70 MB/s reads and 110-120 MB/s writes on our RAIDs... from
linux.

I'd say you should get rid of your compaq raid controller and use a
regular SCSI-controller - 66Mhz 64 bit. (e.g. an adaptec)

--
Ragnar Kj?rstad
Big Storage

2. The Windows powered Indian.

3. High performance disks

4. MkLinux 6500 does not broadcast its presence.

5. Linux on two SCSI Discs - high performance ?

6. How do you create a boot-up disk?

7. High performance SCSI disk device driver

8. Simple installation question

9. FW: Poor performance, high disk queue on software RAID partition

10. Performance - High disk IO

11. high disk latency on Volume Manager disks

12. 9334 Disk Subsystem Configuration w/6000s

13. SSA Disk Subsystem