TCP/IP hostname

Post by Vaughan Lett » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

We have a J30 running 4.1.4 and every time it is powered down and
restarted the TCP/IP hostname reverts back to 'localhost' but the IP
address stays the same. Does anyone know why it is happening and how I
can stop it from happening in the future?

Many Thanks
Vaughan

Replies by mail are prefered as the CompuServe news servers are about
3-4 days behind.

TCP/IP hostname

Post by Christof Schwa » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi Vaughan

Quote:> We have a J30 running 4.1.4 and every time it is powered down and
> restarted the TCP/IP hostname reverts back to 'localhost' but the IP
> address stays the same. Does anyone know why it is happening and how I
> can stop it from happening in the future?

Edit /etc/hosts and write into it the correct hostname belongs to th IP
address.
The IP address of localhost (loopback) must be 127.0.0.1

Hope this helps you!

--
Christof Schwab
Student of Computing Engineering, FH Isny, Germany

TCP/IP hostname

Post by Justin McInne » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> We have a J30 running 4.1.4 and every time it is powered down and
> restarted the TCP/IP hostname reverts back to 'localhost' but the IP
> address stays the same. Does anyone know why it is happening and how I
> can stop it from happening in the future?

> Many Thanks
> Vaughan

> Replies by mail are prefered as the CompuServe news servers are about
> 3-4 days behind.

What are you using to set the machines hostname?
Traditional UNIX's, HP SUN etc use ifconfig, best on AIX to use
'smit tcpip' and options thereafter, because of odm and file changes
needed.
The 'hostname machinename' command should also work.

Hope this helps.

Zabra
--
/----------------------------------------\
| Justin McInnes                         |

| /\oo/\There are no more bugs/\oo/\     |
\----------------------------------------/

TCP/IP hostname

Post by dan.. » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>> We have a J30 running 4.1.4 and every time it is powered down and
>> restarted the TCP/IP hostname reverts back to 'localhost' but the IP
>> address stays the same. Does anyone know why it is happening and how I
>> can stop it from happening in the future?

>> Many Thanks
>> Vaughan

>> Replies by mail are prefered as the CompuServe news servers are about
>> 3-4 days behind.
>What are you using to set the machines hostname?
>Traditional UNIX's, HP SUN etc use ifconfig, best on AIX to use
>'smit tcpip' and options thereafter, because of odm and file changes
>needed.
>The 'hostname machinename' command should also work.

>Hope this helps.

Hi there,
I could be wrong, but I bet your routes all get erased too.  Sounds to me
like you went in and looked at the DHCP menu.  Even if you just look at the
menu and then hit F3 to back out, you will have started DHCP.  Check this
out.  You'll have to disable DHCP.

Daniel

TCP/IP hostname

Post by Bdcar » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

This is very interesting.

I have roughly 14 AIX boxes running 4.1.4 and over the past week on a
random basis, six (6) of them (all not at once) lost their network routes
when the machines were rebooted.  Three (3) of them lost their network
configuration during use?

I was able to correct one of them by doing the following:

booting off the sms disk and then reboot with 4.1.4 cdrom into single user
and access the rootvg with a shell.

Once their went into smit and reset (reconfigured) my TCPIP info and
applied it.
Then exited smit and ran the following command:

$ bosboot -a -d /dev/hdisk0   (where hdisk0 is the boot device).

Last, rebooted and the machine was fine.

I am not having the same luck with the others though, as they seem to have
lost more than their network config info within the ODM.  It seems as they
are reporting down Ethernet cards.  I ran the sms diags and the ethernet
section passes with no errors?

Any ideas and/or info on this scenario would sincerely be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Carnahan

TCP/IP hostname

Post by Wouter Lieftin » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> This is very interesting.

> I have roughly 14 AIX boxes running 4.1.4 and over the past week on a
> random basis, six (6) of them (all not at once) lost their network routes
> when the machines were rebooted.  Three (3) of them lost their network
> configuration during use?

Do you have hosts on your network (not necessarily AIX) running routed?
This might be the cause.

Wouter.

1. TCP/IP hostname

We have an RS/6000 J30 running AIX 4.1.4 and every time the machine is
powered down and rebooted the hostname reverts to 'localhost' but the
IP address stays the same. Does anyone know how to stop it from
changing?

Many thanks
Vaughan

PS. Replies by email are preferred as CompuServe's USENET servers are
usually 3-4 days behind everyone else's.
____   ____                   .__
\   \ /   /____   __ __  ____ |  |__ _____    ____
 \   Y   /\__  \ |  |  \/ ___\|  |  \\__  \  /    \
  \     /  / __ \|  |  / /_/  >   Y  \/ __ \|   |  \

2. kdm customization

3. TCP/IP: hostname lookup error (with libc.so.4.3.3)...

4. Unix Passwords

5. TCP/IP, hostname, server

6. mod_perl-0.97 build problems with apache_1.2b10

7. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

8. thinkpad port replicator

9. SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?