Should I keep free PP's in a volume group?

Should I keep free PP's in a volume group?

Post by Chris Easo » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have a volume group OTHER than rootvg which is only used to store
data.  Since it is so difficult to reduce the number of LP's allocated
to a logical volume, I have tried to keep some space free in the volume
group just in case it was needed.

We are now at the point where ideally it would be nice to use all the
space available. My question is:

Do I need to keep any free PP's in my volume group or can I allocate
them all to logical volumes without worrying about needing them later on
for something vital?

Thanks

Chris Eason

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Should I keep free PP's in a volume group?

Post by Daniel Packm » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>...
>Do I need to keep any free PP's in my volume group or can I allocate
>them all to logical volumes without worrying about needing them later on
>for something vital?

If you will need space in a volume for something else, then
you shouldn't allocate all the PPs to existing volumes. This
is often more of an issue in the root volume group where you
may need more space in /usr /var or swap. In other volume groups,
you are more likely to not have such issues. If you do need more
space, you can add another physical drive to the system and add
it into the existing volume group. In this way, you can extend
existing volume groups. Very flexible. The LVM is a *very* good thing.

Post by k.. » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> >Do I need to keep any free PP's in my volume group or can I allocate
> >them all to logical volumes without worrying about needing them later
on
> >for something vital?

> If you will need space in a volume for something else, then
> you shouldn't allocate all the PPs to existing volumes. This
> is often more of an issue in the root volume group where you
> may need more space in /usr /var or swap.

Actually, if the space in the root volume group is needed one can
always cut a few PP's from swap (hd6) by techniques described in this
news group a while ago. Better yet, split hd6 into hd6 and paging0x,
paging0x can be used as a source of extra PP's (or for temporary
purposes).

On a side note, the virtual memory management in 4.3.3(x?) seems to
be much better than in 4.2.x, at least the % of virtual memory regularly
used seems to be much smaller than for 4.2.x while running similar
applications.