Samba on AIX 433, eating CPU

Post by Svein-Egil Petterse » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:48:36

Hello
We are using Samba 2.2.1 on AIX 4.3.3, but SMBD (SMB Deamon) is eating 40%
of total CPU Power, does
anyone have any tips, or what I should look for, or maybye where I should
look for information. Or even somone
already has some answers

Thanks
Svein-Egil Pettersen
NorgesGruppen Data AS
Oslo, Norway

Samba on AIX 433, eating CPU

Post by Giovanni AMAR » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:58:06

Hi,
i have the SAMBA-2.0.7 from
http://www-frec.bull.com/
on AIX4.3.3, without any problem.
You can check also, if you have the ML-9:
instfix -i |grep ML
Good luck.

Giovanni

--
Use our news server 'news.foorum.com' from anywhere.
More details at: http://nnrpinfo.go.foorum.com/

Samba on AIX 433, eating CPU

Post by Brett Gee » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:54:07

trace it and see wot it's up to, I've seen smbclient smack a cpu to 100%
before trying to print things

brett

Quote:> Hello
> We are using Samba 2.2.1 on AIX 4.3.3, but SMBD (SMB Deamon) is eating
> 40% of total CPU Power, does
> anyone have any tips, or what I should look for, or maybye where I
> should look for information. Or even somone
> already has some answers

> Thanks
> Svein-Egil Pettersen
> NorgesGruppen Data AS
> Oslo, Norway

Samba on AIX 433, eating CPU

Post by Jakob Helgaso » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:14:27

Quote:> Hello
> We are using Samba 2.2.1 on AIX 4.3.3, but SMBD (SMB Deamon) is eating 40%
> of total CPU Power, does
> anyone have any tips, or what I should look for, or maybye where I should
> look for information. Or even somone
> already has some answers

I remember reading about this problem a few months back but I can't find it
again. I think the main point was that high CPU usage is caused of
directories with many files in it and by the fact that Windows is case
insensitive but UNIX isn't and so Samba must 'guess' which file to act with.
I think this was version 2.0.3. At least I had a similar problem with it on
AIX 4.3.2 as well as forking of the nmbd daemon eating all my memory ;-)
With 2.0.7 it seems to be ok.

Mvh/Brgds
Jakob Helgason
http://www.helgasondata.com
Oslo, Norway

Samba on AIX 433, eating CPU

Post by mh » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:42:04

> Hello
> We are using Samba 2.2.1 on AIX 4.3.3, but SMBD (SMB Deamon) is eating 40%
> of total CPU Power, does
> anyone have any tips, or what I should look for, or maybye where I should
> look for information. Or even somone
> already has some answers

Hi Svein,

mmmmh, maybe not so easy to find ...

What i should normally do is this :

a) First i check my "smb.conf"-File. This is normally under
"/usr/local/lib" or "/usr/local/samba/etc" or any other place where your
"smbd" is looking for it (depending on your version an build-config of
samba)

b) Then i try to activate "debug level = 1" (if not already active) and
remember the value for the "logfile"-parameter (normaly under /var/samba
or /usr/local/samba/var, but maybe at some other place, depending on you
version and build of samba) .

If you have plenty of PC's in your LAN, then a good idea is to put "%m"
into the path of "logfiles". Normally this should be active in V2.2.1.
This help's a lot later if you have to do a logfile-analysis of a
specific machine.

c) Then i restart all "smbd" processes (maybe the "nmbd" too)

d) Then i look at the log-files an chcek which PC's are making the most
"traffic" on samba ...

If "debug level = 1" is not enough, you can try up to "9" and start over
again ...

Hope this help you a little bit,

        regards
                        M.Herrmann

Basi

Quote:

> Thanks
> Svein-Egil Pettersen
> NorgesGruppen Data AS
> Oslo, Norway

1. SSA Periodic Diag and diag diffs in AIX-433 and AIX-510

If one goes into: diag => Task Selection => Periodic Diagnostics, in AIX-433
one can add the sysplanar, ioplanar, various SCSI adapters and devices to
the list of resources to be monitored. In AIX-510, however, the resource list
consists exclusively of the PROCESSORS. Why[1]? In 433 there is a "run_ela"
crontab entry that's absent in 510. Why[2]?

Another question related to diag: It seems that SSA disks are handeled
differently,as diag runs agains them via crontab entries, such as run_ssa_ela.
I believe that script supposed to send an email when a redundant SSA disk fails.
Days ago, a disk in a mirrored setup (within a six-pack) dropped out but no
notification was sent. The event did get logged in errlog, though.

All of my questions lead to this one: How can I configure the system to send me
(root, ssa_adm) an email when an SSA disk, or any other piece of HW fails?

Thanks Gang,    -Bela

2. SCSI probing.

3. Looking for AIX 433.

4. Linux 2.4.19-pre10-jam2

5. AIX 433 ML08

6. mount --bind

7. Compile error on AIX 433 Apache 2.0.44

8. dump/restore??

9. AIX 433 routing tables & ping.

10. monitor is very slow on aix 433 ML6

11. AIX 433 Migration