Need RAN and modem config help!

Post by cserg.. » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

My RS6000 (E20, AIX 4.4) currently has a controller(128 port) with 3
rans connected to it.  On the first part of the controller we have 2
local rans, second port has a ran connected via sync modems(works
fine).  We want to change the 2nd ran on the first port to a remote
ran.  When I try and change the speed on node 2 (the second ran)
to 232_modem, it balks with an the following error:
Method error (/usr/lib/methods/chgcxma):
        0514-017 The following attributes are not valid for the
                 specified device:
     line1_speed
line1_cabletype
commode_l1c3
If I change the line 1 speed to 57.6 instead of 1.2M, and the  speed on
node 2 to 232_modem then the change is allowed, but when I reboot with
the change my rans don't work.
Does anyone have a similiar configuration that could email me the
screen print from SMIT.

Thanks for your time concerning this issue.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Need RAN and modem config help!

Post by Ken Abrahamse » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

The 1.2M is the speed FROM the CONTROLLER to the 16PORT RANs. Leave it at
1.2M. What you want to change is the speed of the ttys associated with each
serial port of the 16PORT RANs, NOT the controller. Create ttys on the RAN
ports (if you haven't yet) and change THOSE.
ken
======

>My RS6000 (E20, AIX 4.4) currently has a controller(128 port) with 3
>rans connected to it.  On the first part of the controller we have 2
>local rans, second port has a ran connected via sync modems(works
>fine).  We want to change the 2nd ran on the first port to a remote
>ran.  When I try and change the speed on node 2 (the second ran)
>to 232_modem, it balks with an the following error:
>Method error (/usr/lib/methods/chgcxma):
>        0514-017 The following attributes are not valid for the
>                 specified device:
>     line1_speed
>line1_cabletype
>commode_l1c3
>If I change the line 1 speed to 57.6 instead of 1.2M, and the  speed on
>node 2 to 232_modem then the change is allowed, but when I reboot with
>the change my rans don't work.
>Does anyone have a similiar configuration that could email me the
>screen print from SMIT.

>Thanks for your time concerning this issue.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

1. need help with a modem config (Conexant)

I need some help configuring a ppp on a redhat 6.2 box. My modem is a
Conexant MDP3900V-U modem working under windows on COM2.

I have tried linuxconfig and RP3 to get this sucker working. RP3 can't
locate the modem and when I configure manually, I get the error "Can't open
ttyS1" when I run debug. Isn't ttyS1 equivalent to COM2? This is a hardware
modem. What am doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Kirk

2. RAID-Controller

3. modem config problems - HELP needed!!

4. Uptime of UNIX boxes.

5. need help communicating with a modem mgetty.config

6. Anti-spoofing filters may be required by law

7. HELP! need assistance with multi-modem config (repeat)

8. My Toshibas/Compaqs page fault with v2.4 w/ driver update 10 for x86 PCMCIA

9. Help need: Sound config and epplet config

10. Need help running modem through command line

11. need help - setting up serial terminal and modem on IPX running Red Hat Linux

12. Need help to run SUN Workshop 5.0 beta (problems to run solaris license manager)

13. Matrox Mystique ands X.