scsi disk capacity

scsi disk capacity

Post by Jafl » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00



On some drives lsdev -Cs scsi  does NOT
tell me the size (capacity) of the drive, like 2GB or whatever?
It just reports something like "other".
Is there any easy way to find out the capacity of the drive?

 
 
 

scsi disk capacity

Post by dunca » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00


Jafl,
    Try "lsattr -El hdisk? -a size_in_mb" where ? is the hdisk # you get
from your lsdev command.

hth,
    Duncan


> On some drives lsdev -Cs scsi  does NOT
> tell me the size (capacity) of the drive, like 2GB or whatever?
> It just reports something like "other".
> Is there any easy way to find out the capacity of the drive?



 
 
 

scsi disk capacity

Post by Super Dave Ma » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00


You can also use "bootinfo -s hdisk#", this should return the size in
MB of usable disk space.

--
My opinions are completely my own.  As for my heart and soul,
I'm not so sure....but my ass definately belongs to the IRS.


>On some drives lsdev -Cs scsi  does NOT
>tell me the size (capacity) of the drive, like 2GB or whatever?

 
 
 

scsi disk capacity

Post by Norman Lev » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00



> On some drives lsdev -Cs scsi  does NOT
> tell me the size (capacity) of the drive, like 2GB or whatever?
> It just reports something like "other".
> Is there any easy way to find out the capacity of the drive?

The lsdev commands device description comes from a NLS catalogue so
the description will make sense in many languages.  That mean it is
nothing but documentation - that while hopefully accurate  - could
be completely bogus.  I could replace the 'other disk' with a
description ' 3 slice bagel toaster'.  It would have the same validity
as the description you currently are depending on.

a: if the disk 'n' is part of a volume group, lspv hdiskn will give
        you information.
b: a more general way is "bootinfo -s hdiskn" and this gives the size
        of disk 'n'
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

 
 
 

scsi disk capacity

Post by Scott L. Field » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00


Actually, many disks are going to a SCSD type configuration where
there is no size description to begin with.

The size of a disk is stored in the CuAt for that disk, so you can
run "lsattr -El hdisk#" to get the size. However, a much easier and
complete method is to run "lscfg -l hdisk*", since the "lscfg" command
will show the size as well, and this will show ALL the disks.

FYI



>> On some drives lsdev -Cs scsi  does NOT
>> tell me the size (capacity) of the drive, like 2GB or whatever?
>> It just reports something like "other".
>> Is there any easy way to find out the capacity of the drive?

>The lsdev commands device description comes from a NLS catalogue so
>the description will make sense in many languages.  That mean it is
>nothing but documentation - that while hopefully accurate  - could
>be completely bogus.  I could replace the 'other disk' with a
>description ' 3 slice bagel toaster'.  It would have the same validity
>as the description you currently are depending on.

>a: if the disk 'n' is part of a volume group, lspv hdiskn will give
> you information.
>b: a more general way is "bootinfo -s hdiskn" and this gives the size
> of disk 'n'

 
 
 

scsi disk capacity

Post by Sgt Jell » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00


Will this also show any SSA drives?

>Actually, many disks are going to a SCSD type configuration where
>there is no size description to begin with.

>The size of a disk is stored in the CuAt for that disk, so you can
>run "lsattr -El hdisk#" to get the size. However, a much easier and
>complete method is to run "lscfg -l hdisk*", since the "lscfg" command
>will show the size as well, and this will show ALL the disks.

>FYI



>>> On some drives lsdev -Cs scsi  does NOT
>>> tell me the size (capacity) of the drive, like 2GB or whatever?
>>> It just reports something like "other".
>>> Is there any easy way to find out the capacity of the drive?

>>The lsdev commands device description comes from a NLS catalogue so
>>the description will make sense in many languages.  That mean it is
>>nothing but documentation - that while hopefully accurate  - could
>>be completely bogus.  I could replace the 'other disk' with a
>>description ' 3 slice bagel toaster'.  It would have the same validity
>>as the description you currently are depending on.

>>a: if the disk 'n' is part of a volume group, lspv hdiskn will give
>> you information.
>>b: a more general way is "bootinfo -s hdiskn" and this gives the size
>> of disk 'n'

 
 
 

scsi disk capacity

Post by Joerg Brueh » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00


Hello Scott (and others),

on my RS/6k (model 25T, 'oslevel' = '4.1.2.0'), the commands you
recommend do not return the disk size:


> ((...))

> The size of a disk is stored in the CuAt for that disk, so you can
> run "lsattr -El hdisk#" to get the size. However, a much easier and
> complete method is to run "lscfg -l hdisk*", since the "lscfg" command
> will show the size as well, and this will show ALL the disks.

Neither 'lsattr' nor 'lscfg' works for me - is the "size" output a new featureintroduced with some level after 4.1.2 ?

> FYI


> >((...))

> >a: if the disk 'n' is part of a volume group, lspv hdiskn will give
> > you information.
> >b: a more general way is "bootinfo -s hdiskn" and this gives the size
> > of disk 'n'

Both 'lspv' (number PP * size PP) and 'bootinfo' work for me -but 'lsattr' would be much nicer, because it seems more appropriate
to me.

Regards,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

 
 
 

scsi disk capacity

Post by Scott L. Field » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00


This feature DOES exist in AIX 4.1.5.

AIX is a VERY OLD release. You are best advised to upgrade
top 4.1.5. However, AIX V4.1 will be dropped from marketing
at the end of this year, so you are really best advised to go to
AIX V4.3 for supportability issues.

In your case, you can probably run "bootinfo -s hdisk#" with
no problems.


>Hello Scott (and others),

>on my RS/6k (model 25T, 'oslevel' = '4.1.2.0'), the commands you
>recommend do not return the disk size:


>> ((...))

>> The size of a disk is stored in the CuAt for that disk, so you can
>> run "lsattr -El hdisk#" to get the size. However, a much easier and
>> complete method is to run "lscfg -l hdisk*", since the "lscfg" command
>> will show the size as well, and this will show ALL the disks.