Has anyone built gcc 2.95 for AIX 4.3.2?

Has anyone built gcc 2.95 for AIX 4.3.2?

Post by Dan Weingar » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I can't find the binaries for this and the 'build' process fails when it
invokes ld.

If anyone knows where the binaries for this might be OR has successfully
built it on AIX.4.3.2 I'd be interested.

-Dan

Post by Gary R. Hoo » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I can't find the binaries for this and the 'build' process fails when it
> invokes ld.

> If anyone knows where the binaries for this might be OR has successfully
> built it on AIX.4.3.2 I'd be interested.

On AIX 4.3 you have to use EGCS.  The Bull website has the precompiled
binaries for 1.1, I think, but I don't know the URL...  someone will
come along shortly and post it, I bet.

--
Gary R. Hook / AIX Kernel Development, IBM / These opinions are _MINE_
A piece of canvas is only the beginning

Post by Kirk De » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>> I can't find the binaries for this and the 'build' process fails when it
>> invokes ld.

>> If anyone knows where the binaries for this might be OR has successfully
>> built it on AIX.4.3.2 I'd be interested.

>On AIX 4.3 you have to use EGCS.  The Bull website has the precompiled
>binaries for 1.1, I think, but I don't know the URL...  someone will
>come along shortly and post it, I bet.

>--
>Gary R. Hook / AIX Kernel Development, IBM / These opinions are _MINE_
>A piece of canvas is only the beginning
>It takes on character with every loving stroke
>This thing of beauty is the passion of an artist's heart
>By God's design, we are a skin kaleidoscope    "Colored people", dc Talk

Just this week I built gcc 2.95.1 on AIX 4.3.2 without any problems.

Be sure you have the latest bos.rte.bind_cmds fixes.

gcc 2.95.1 is the GCC/EGCS release.  From the release announcement
(http://egcs.cygnus.com/gcc-2.95/gcc-2.95.1.html):

    August 19, 1999

    The GNU project and the GCC/EGCS developers are pleased to
    announce the release of GCC version 2.95.1. GCC used to
    stand for the GNU C Compiler, but since the compiler supports
    several other languages aside from C, it now stands for the
    GNU Compiler Collection.

Good Luck.

Has anyone built gcc 2.95 for AIX 4.3.2?

Post by Chuck Kuhlma » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

http://www-frec.bull.com

look for the downloads

lookup the latest pre-packaged gcc file sets.

Don't forget to pick EGCS as well.

1. Trying to compile gtkwave on Solaris 7 box, with GCC 2.95, having no luck.

I am relatively new to Solaris. I am trying to compile a tool called
gtkwave-1.3 on a solaris 7 box. I am much more used to Linux and BSD.

Anyways, the place where it dies is linking some helper command line
applications which require zlib.  There were zlib libraries (static
libz.a and libz.so) already on the machine, but the libz.so needed
a dynamic libc.  So I got this error:

ld: warning: file libgcc_s.so.1: required by /usr/lib/libz.so, not found

I figured it was because the /usr/lib/libz.so needed libgcc_s.so (yes I
can read an error message).  So I searched the whole filesystem and
there is no such file as "libgcc_s.so" or anything close.

So I thought, now I really am confused.

So I then tried to force link with libz.a instead of libz.so, first by
renaming libz.so (yes, this was bad, but if the system has no
libgcc_s.so, any app trying to load libz.so would fail anyways), then
relinking. No luck.

So then I figured both libz.a and libz.so must be screwed, so I decided
to rebuild them from sources. So I did a download of the zlib binaries
from www.sunfreeware.com, and those didn't work, so I did a build from
zlib sources (configure, make test, make install).  Now I have libz.a in
/usr/lib, but attempts to compile a program that uses libz.a ( gcc
option -lz) dies with this error:

bash#gcc -O2 -lz -o mvl2lxt mvl2lxt.c lxt_write.c

Undefined                       first referenced
  symbol                             in file
gzdopen                             /var/tmp/cco1OmHW.o
gzwrite                             /var/tmp/cco1OmHW.o
gzclose                             /var/tmp/cco1OmHW.o

Why is this happening? I have a valid libz.a in /usr/lib/libz.a

What am I doing wrong? Besides being a clueless Solaris Newbie. Help!

Warren Postma
Toronto Canada

2. tar problem

3. Building gcc 2.95 on Solaris 2.6

4. ANNOUNCE: http_fetcher-1.0.2 HTTP library

5. Core in 2nd map::insert STLport 4.5.0/ AIX 4.3.3 / gcc 2.95.x

6. installing linuxppc over mklinux

7. gcc 2.95 and ld linker on AIX 4.3!!!

8. SiI3112A on Solaris 10 x86

9. link problem (gcc 2.95 on AIX 4.3.3)

10. Kernel compile problem with (P)GCC 2.95

11. Any interest in gcc 2.95* sparcv9 (64-bit) ?

12. gcc 2.95 vs. 3.0

13. gcc 2.95... installation problem