Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

Post by Scott Fr » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have an opportunity to accept a position as an AIX administrator.  This is
a new position that is created within my company and to me seems like a
great career move.  However, I would be the only one knowing what was going
on.  It would be my responsibility to learn AIX Unix through various books,
seminars, classes, etc.  The company even wants this employee to take the
certification exams and is willing to pay for them.  The bad thing is since
I am the only one that would know the information, I would be on call 24-7
365 days a year until the need arose for someone else to be hired and share
the responsibilities.  I guess this is a good career opportunity because if
any more people were hired for this area, I would be the lead person which
is a very important goal in my career.  Currently, I am on a team that does
desktop support and am happy with my position, however, there doesn't seem
to be any room for advancement in this area.  Does anyone have some helpful
advice?

Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

Post by Norman Levi » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

An 'invaluable person'.  Hm... sounds like a pay raise to me <grin>
Sure, get your feet wet.  Probably great background for the "Monterey"
project.
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

Post by Alberto Varesi » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I have an opportunity to accept a position as an AIX administrator.  This is
> a new position that is created within my company and to me seems like a
> great career move.  However, I would be the only one knowing what was going
> on.  It would be my responsibility to learn AIX Unix through various books,
> seminars, classes, etc.  The company even wants this employee to take the
> certification exams and is willing to pay for them.  The bad thing is since
> I am the only one that would know the information, I would be on call 24-7
> 365 days a year until the need arose for someone else to be hired and share
> the responsibilities.  I guess this is a good career opportunity because if
> any more people were hired for this area, I would be the lead person which
> is a very important goal in my career.  Currently, I am on a team that does
> desktop support and am happy with my position, however, there doesn't seem
> to be any room for advancement in this area.  Does anyone have some helpful
> advice?

Take the job!
It will be hard in the beginning, but when you are through you could sell
yourself as AIX AND Unix expert.
Carefully plan courses and exams, learn AIX specifics, but also try to learn
Unix general concepts, so you can apply them on SunOS, HP, Linux, ...
Good Luck!

--
 Alberto Varesio - AIX Support Professional             Phone: +39-011-41581-11

 10195 Grugliasco (TO) ITALY                  http://www.linuxfan.com/~avaresio
 Attachment smime.p7s is a digital signature, ignore it if mailer can't use it.

Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

Post by Chris Shoesmit » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I agree with other replies to this. Take the job. Every man and his dog,
and it's puppies knows desktop OS's. It's fast becoming the domain of
the mobile phone salespeople. Get ahead of the rest and learn some
skills that will be rewarding in many ways. You'll get the opportunity
to play wth some 'large' equipment with large disk arrays, large
processing capability, large user base. This will keep you busy, but I'm
sure you'll enjoy it. The fact that the company is willing to train and
certify you is an opportunity too great to pass up. If work gets too
hard tell 'em to keep the job, and look elsewhere. AIX skills are in
short demand in most countries. As other people have said, it's UNIX
that you'll be learning. Don't think of yourself as an AIX person.
Although if that's what a new job requires, then sell yourself
appropiately. I was a desktop/PC type person who easily made the UNIX
transition I now have a great job with great prospects, in under 30
months (although it was good from the start). UNIX is not going away
overnight, and with linux carving inroads into the desktop arena, you'll
find yourself a step ahead of your counterparts.

As for the coverage bit, so long as they pay an allowance and call-out
fees, the money will be worth it. Many of our guys double their incomes
thanks to coverage calls.

Regards,
Chris Shoesmith
Unix Systems Programmer
Qantas IT, Australia.

Quote:> I have an opportunity to accept a position as an AIX administrator.
This is
> a new position that is created within my company and to me seems like
> great career move.  However, I would be the only one knowing what was
going
> on.  It would be my responsibility to learn AIX Unix through various
books,
> seminars, classes, etc.  The company even wants this employee to take
the
> certification exams and is willing to pay for them.  The bad thing is
since
> I am the only one that would know the information, I would be on call
24-7
> 365 days a year until the need arose for someone else to be hired and
share
> the responsibilities.  I guess this is a good career opportunity
because if
> any more people were hired for this area, I would be the lead person
which
> is a very important goal in my career.  Currently, I am on a team that
does
> desktop support and am happy with my position, however, there doesn't
seem
> to be any room for advancement in this area.  Does anyone have some
helpful
> advice?

Chris Shoesmith, Unix/NT Systems Programmer
Qantas Information Techology, Australia

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

Post by Brandon Hine » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Scott,

I'm the sole person on four AIX boxes.  I haven't been called once in
two
years (when I took the position).  Just make sure the applications on
the
server aren't too flaky.

-Brandon

> I have an opportunity to accept a position as an AIX administrator.  This is
> a new position that is created within my company and to me seems like a
> great career move.  However, I would be the only one knowing what was going
> on.  It would be my responsibility to learn AIX Unix through various books,
> seminars, classes, etc.  The company even wants this employee to take the
> certification exams and is willing to pay for them.  The bad thing is since
> I am the only one that would know the information, I would be on call 24-7
> 365 days a year until the need arose for someone else to be hired and share
> the responsibilities.  I guess this is a good career opportunity because if
> any more people were hired for this area, I would be the lead person which
> is a very important goal in my career.  Currently, I am on a team that does
> desktop support and am happy with my position, however, there doesn't seem
> to be any room for advancement in this area.  Does anyone have some helpful
> advice?

1. Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

Scott,

A few things to consider:

1.  What kind of salary are they offering?  If it is the same as you present
salary (and I hope
     that it isn't) then:

2.  Where do you want to be in say 10 years?

3.  Define on-call.  If you don't have to wear a pager or carry a cell phone
then you're not on call.

4.  What is your promotion path?

5.  What kind of application will run on the AIX system.  Who is responsible
for the software &
      database?

6.  Are you changing supervisors?  Do you "like" the new supervisor?  Sometimes
it is better
      not to make a move if you know that the new supervisor will be difficult
to work with.

7.  How old are you and how long have you been in your present position?  Some
younger
     people have a hard time working in an autonomous environment.

8.  The training that they want you to take is great.  This is an excellent
opportunity to develop
      new, and very marketable skills.  But, you need to consider that you will
have to travel quite
      a bit to take the necessary classes.  Can you do that?

9.  I'd ask to sit with the decision makers and look over all the paperwork
related to the purchase/
      lease agreement.  Find out where this system fits in to the total IS
scheme and how dedicated
      they are to keeping up with the technology.

If all of this seems to point in a positive direction, then I would say that
this is a good move for you.
Welcome to the world of AIX/UNIX Administration.

Cheers,

Bob Harlan
Senior Technical Support Analyst
Goodyear Tire and Rubber

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Virtual wu-ftpd, BSDI, and anonymous ls

3. Please help with career advice -- is UNIX a good choice?

4. How to prevent users from leaving their home directory!

5. Career move?

6. Help installling network under 3.2v2.1

7. Any conversion/training courses in US to move into an IT-related career ??

8. turn of menu?

9. VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

10. Any conversion/training courses in US to move into an IT-related career ??

11. Linux good for your career?

12. Flatfish's career as an AIX admin: the story of a wanker.

13. Career: Going from Windows into Unix