Using 8mm video tapes in tape drive??

Post by david l » Sat, 20 Jun 1992 23:48:28

Netones:
 So I want to use generic 8mm video tapes in the tape drive
on my RS6000... Well, I popped in a Canon Hi8 Metal-E E6-60HME
metal evaporated tape (bande au metal evapore :-) and,
click....whirrrrr....click....blahhhhhhh!
Out pops the tape! Hmmmmmmm.
 Can I use video tapes to store data? How?

Thanks,
Please reply directly to:

Post by Hari Seld » Sun, 21 Jun 1992 03:59:16

>Netones:
> So I want to use generic 8mm video tapes in the tape drive
>on my RS6000... Well, I popped in a Canon Hi8 Metal-E E6-60HME
>metal evaporated tape (bande au metal evapore :-) and,
>click....whirrrrr....click....blahhhhhhh!
>Out pops the tape! Hmmmmmmm.
> Can I use video tapes to store data? How?

no. no. no. no. no.
shoot man. the data tapes are barely stable.
if you want to go cheep then get the cheep data tapes.
if you don't  care to spend the $ then buy good tape
but don't use it often, what good will a ceep backup
do if it dies when your trying to restore?????
bzzzzpt! we now return you to our regularly schedled program.

bill pociengel

Quote:>Thanks,
>Please reply directly to:

this is the reply. if you want it then hang around and wait for it!

--

Post by Dave Ols » Sun, 21 Jun 1992 11:35:34

| >Netones:
| > So I want to use generic 8mm video tapes in the tape drive
| >on my RS6000... Well, I popped in a Canon Hi8 Metal-E E6-60HME
| >metal evaporated tape (bande au metal evapore :-) and,
| >click....whirrrrr....click....blahhhhhhh!
| >Out pops the tape! Hmmmmmmm.
| > Can I use video tapes to store data? How?

Don't use Hi8.  If you don't want to use data grade, use
something like the plain old Sony MP tapes.  I've heard
from some folks that they have had less than ideal results
on recent batches, and worse yet on 8500's.  Data grade
prices to seem to be coming down a bit, finally.
--
Let no one tell me that silence gives consent,  |   Dave Olson
because whoever is silent dissents.             |   Silicon Graphics, Inc.

Post by Louis Verhag » Sun, 21 Jun 1992 13:21:24

>Netones:
> So I want to use generic 8mm video tapes in the tape drive
>on my RS6000... Well, I popped in a Canon Hi8 Metal-E E6-60HME
>metal evaporated tape (bande au metal evapore :-) and,
>click....whirrrrr....click....blahhhhhhh!
>Out pops the tape! Hmmmmmmm.
> Can I use video tapes to store data? How?

Our 3M rep said to us that using the video tapes was just as
good as using the data quality tapes. "No worries Mate, She'll
be fine !" and gave use some references. We called the references
and they were quite surpriced that they were named as reference,
because they had complained and complained about losing data. All
of them had thrown out the video tapes and were now using data
quality tapes.
So we didn't even attempt using video tapes.

Louis Verhagen
Australia

Post by Francis Mora » Mon, 22 Jun 1992 14:13:11

>Our 3M rep said to us that using the video tapes was just as
>good as using the data quality tapes. "No worries Mate, She'll
>be fine !" and gave use some references. We called the references
>and they were quite surpriced that they were named as reference,
>because they had complained and complained about losing data. All
>of them had thrown out the video tapes and were now using data
>quality tapes.
>So we didn't even attempt using video tapes.

I've been seeing so much bad news about the video tapes that I thought
I would speak up briefly: We have had no problem with video tapes (Sony)
and have found them to be no more prone to data loss than the data
quality tapes. This isn't scientific of course, I'm just reporting our
results; I hate to think of everyone spending a lot more money than they
need to.

Post by Daniel Packm » Wed, 24 Jun 1992 00:54:10

>Don't use Hi8.  If you don't want to use data grade, use
>something like the plain old Sony MP tapes.  I've heard
>from some folks that they have had less than ideal results
>on recent batches, and worse yet on 8500's.  Data grade
>prices to seem to be coming down a bit, finally.

Experience here indicate the the recent Sony MP120r tapes (release roughly
this year) had modifications that made them less than ideal for data storage.
There are still useable, but sometimes need to be loaded several times and
sometimes have write errors and sometimes are unreadable.  Older Sony tapes
and other brands of over the counter tapes work fine.  For those of us who
do overlapping backups (any single backup is not critical but as long as
the previous or next is ok), data grade tape seems a bit of a waste of
money, particularly if you avoid this particular brand.  We have had no
problems with earlier batches or with Maxell or Scotch.

--

(303) 497-1427  P.O. Box 3000
                Boulder, CO  80307-3000        NSI/DECNET: 9583::PACK

Post by Fred Seals 5-22 » Wed, 24 Jun 1992 02:26:31

|> >Netones:
|> > So I want to use generic 8mm video tapes in the tape drive
|> >on my RS6000... Well, I popped in a Canon Hi8 Metal-E E6-60HME
|> >metal evaporated tape (bande au metal evapore :-) and,
|> >click....whirrrrr....click....blahhhhhhh!
|> >Out pops the tape! Hmmmmmmm.
|> > Can I use video tapes to store data? How?
|> no. no. no. no. no.
|> shoot man. the data tapes are barely stable.
|> if you want to go cheep then get the cheep data tapes.
|> if you don't  care to spend the $ then buy good tape
|> but don't use it often, what good will a ceep backup
|> do if it dies when your trying to restore?????
|> bzzzzpt! we now return you to our regularly schedled program.
|>
|> bill pociengel
|>
|> >Thanks,
|> >Please reply directly to:
|> this is the reply. if you want it then hang around and wait for it!
|>

|> --

yes yes yes

I have been using 8mm video tapes for over four years.  NO PROBLEM to date.

fred

The above opinions are my own. To my knowledge they are not shared by my
employer or my friends. However, they should be.

If you receive more than one copy of this notice please pass it on to a
friend.

Fred Seals
409-845-2298

Post by Jeff Wannamak » Tue, 23 Jun 1992 14:07:52

> >Netones:
> > So I want to use generic 8mm video tapes in the tape drive
> >on my RS6000... Well, I popped in a Canon Hi8 Metal-E E6-60HME
> >metal evaporated tape (bande au metal evapore :-) and,
> >click....whirrrrr....click....blahhhhhhh!
> >Out pops the tape! Hmmmmmmm.
> > Can I use video tapes to store data? How?

> Our 3M rep said to us that using the video tapes was just as
> good as using the data quality tapes. "No worries Mate, She'll
> be fine !" and gave use some references. We called the references
> and they were quite surpriced that they were named as reference,
> because they had complained and complained about losing data. All
> of them had thrown out the video tapes and were now using data
> quality tapes.
> So we didn't even attempt using video tapes.

> Louis Verhagen
> Australia

That's right.  The MIL thickness of video tapes is thinner than
data tapes.  The tapes tend to stretch, which from what I am told,
can cause data dropout or tape failure.  I was also told that IBM
and 3M tapes are higher quality and your best bet for repetitive
backups.  Sony's are thinner but ok for less repetitious activities.

I would like to see a true stress test of the different medias to
be certain though.  I'm not sure word-of-mouth is 100% accurate....
even if it is from a 3M or IBM rep.  :-)

--

Talk is cheap.  Not in Congress.

Post by Christian Mo » Tue, 23 Jun 1992 15:38:44

>I've been seeing so much bad news about the video tapes that I thought
>I would speak up briefly: We have had no problem with video tapes (Sony)
>and have found them to be no more prone to data loss than the data
>quality tapes. This isn't scientific of course, I'm just reporting our
>results; I hate to think of everyone spending a lot more money than they
>need to.

I'll second that ... we have been using Hi8-Tapes for quite a while now,
with no data loss *at all*. The standard 8mm-Tapes seem to cause some
problems, though (that's why we are using Hi8).

                                                                Chris.

--
SOFTPRO doesn't speak for me, and I do not speak for SOFTPRO. So what?

Post by Curt Finch 903 2F021 c.. » Tue, 23 Jun 1992 12:28:42

> Can I use video tapes to store data? How?

I heard from a guy around here who knows tape drives that it is a myth
that video tapes are ok for this.  The myth was started by some tape
drive manufacturer's marketing campaign, which was later retracted,
(as soon as the customers tried to restore their data.)

Don't do it if the data really matters.

If it doesn't matter then why back it up at all, right?
--

My views are unrelated to those of IBM     |        Austin, TX
- FICA isn't a retirement plan. Money's spent. It'll be gone when you need it.-

Post by Ed Kubaitis - CC » Wed, 24 Jun 1992 20:54:35

  |> Can I use video tapes to store data? How?
  |
  |I heard from a guy around here who knows tape drives that it is a myth
  |that video tapes are ok for this.  The myth was started by some tape
  |drive manufacturer's marketing campaign, which was later retracted,
  |(as soon as the customers tried to restore their data.)
  |
  |Don't do it if the data really matters.
  |
  |If it doesn't matter then why back it up at all, right?

Beg to differ. Purdue University, a pioneer user of Exabyte drives,
concluded that consumer grade Sony P6 120-MP tapes are fine. Fermilab,
(which buys 8mm tapes in lots of 5000) did a study and decided on Sony or
Fujitsu consumer grade. Based on their experience, we went with Sony P6-120
MP for backup 2 years ago and have been satisfied with their reliability.
In our experience, operator errors, controlware problems and mechanical
drive failures are more serious problems than anything we have seen that
was attributable to media.

----------------------------------

Computing & Communications Services Office - University of Illinois, Urbana

Using 8mm video tapes in tape drive??

Post by Leonard Laur » Wed, 24 Jun 1992 17:16:15

While I don't want to promote the use of video tape as a backup medium,
I bought several (20??) sony 8mm video tapes about 3 years ago, and had
only one failure (during the backup, not a restore).  We do alot of restores
so I feel comfortable with THESE tapes.  Now if the quality has changed,
it would be best to use data grade tapes, but I would probably buy some
new tapes and try them out before spending 4 times as much for "data"
grade tapes.

Leonard

>> Can I use video tapes to store data? How?
>I heard from a guy around here who knows tape drives that it is a myth
>that video tapes are ok for this.  The myth was started by some tape
>drive manufacturer's marketing campaign, which was later retracted,
>(as soon as the customers tried to restore their data.)
>Don't do it if the data really matters.
>If it doesn't matter then why back it up at all, right?
>--

>My views are unrelated to those of IBM     |        Austin, TX
>- FICA isn't a retirement plan. Money's spent. It'll be gone when you need it.-

Using 8mm video tapes in tape drive??

Post by Clarence Do » Thu, 25 Jun 1992 03:38:22

Quote:> Purdue University, a pioneer user of Exabyte drives,
> concluded that consumer grade Sony P6 120-MP tapes are fine. Fermilab,

The original poster was using Hi-8 tapes.
There are currently three grades of 8mm video tape from Sony on the shelf at
my video store.  120MP, the original, which Purdue is happy with, but I find
not to be so hot for video ;-)
120-MP-HG "High Grade".  This is much better for video.
120 Hi-8, made for Hi-8 video cameras, marked "for use only in Hi-8..."

I only use IBM tapes in my IBM 8MM, but I would be inclined to try the new
"finer grained" 120-MP-HG if I were to try a video tape, just based on the
very apparent difference in my home 8mm Sony F-30 camera.

--
---

               ...pyramid!ctnews!tsmiti!dold

Using 8mm video tapes in tape drive??

Post by Rick Cochr » Thu, 25 Jun 1992 03:37:09

We have been using Sony 120MP's for three years with absolutely no restoring
problems through tens of GB of restores.  However, we are switching to data-
certified tapes ASAP for the following reason:

Back in the good (?) old days, when 8" floppies were hot stuff, you used to
be able to use a single-density floppy at double-density.  After a year or
two, however, we started losing data (and time and sanity).  I believe that
the manufacturers realized that they could improve their economics by
testing the media.  Only those disks which worked at single, but not at
double, were sold as single-density.

I fully expect this to happen with 8mm video/data tapes and I don't want to
get caught with a whole lot of unusable backup tapes.  There's a lot more
to lose on an 8mm tape than on an 8" floppy.

--

|E20 Clark Hall, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853          cornell!msc.cornell.edu!rick|

Post by Jo Ann Mali » Thu, 25 Jun 1992 14:09:27

|>   |> Can I use video tapes to store data? How?
|>
|> Purdue University, a pioneer user of Exabyte drives,
|> concluded that consumer grade Sony P6 120-MP tapes are fine. Fermilab,
|> (which buys 8mm tapes in lots of 5000) did a study and decided on Sony or
|> Fujitsu consumer grade. Based on their experience, we went with Sony P6-120
|> MP for backup 2 years ago and have been satisfied with their reliability.
|> In our experience, operator errors, controlware problems and mechanical
|> drive failures are more serious problems than anything we have seen that
|> was attributable to media.

I'll second this. I've been using the Sony P6-120MP for 2 years without a hitch.
I was going to Fry's Electronics and buying up to the petty cash limit worth at
one time. Then I put a requisition through purchasing for a bunch and they sent
me the "Improved Higher Resolution P6-120HG" Sonys and they are awful. Seemed to
back up ok but never have been able to restore from them. If it's true that the
HG have replaced the MP's, I guess I have to switch to data tapes.

Lately I've also been recycling the tapes IBM sends software on. These have the
write-tab removed, but if you just put a piece of scotch tape over the hole in
the bottom (the one in the corner, near where the write-tab would be), they work
fine. I figure if they're good enough for IBM, they ought to work for me (I have
IBM 8mm drives). So far, so good.

Jo Ann Malina, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center

Neither Stanford nor the DOE would be caught dead with these opinions.
Nor do they consult me when formulating theirs.