FTP from AIX to OS/390 question

Post by CraZ » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone have experience in FTP'ing textfiles from AIX to an OS/390
mainframe ? So far I have succeeded in succesfully transferring text by
standard FTP. There's a few special SITE commands that regulate dataset
allocation specifics on the mainframe. So far so good.

The trouble is 'special characters' (i.e. ascii values above 127 - the
8th bit is used). When I transfer a text file containing special
characters, the eighth bit gets chopped off in the process (ascii
transfer with automatic conversion to ebcdic), and I end up with non-
useable files on the mainframe end.

Searching IBM's documentation all I've come up with is the CONVXLAT
utility on OS/390.. but I wouldn't know how to use that.

I would be very pleased if you'd share your experiences with me on this
one.

Thanx,

EJAY

AIX Admin, The Netherlands

FTP from AIX to OS/390 question

Post by Piotrek Kapczu » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi

Quote:> Does anyone have experience in FTP'ing textfiles from AIX to an OS/390
> mainframe ? So far I have succeeded in succesfully transferring text by
> standard FTP. There's a few special SITE commands that regulate dataset
> allocation specifics on the mainframe. So far so good.

> The trouble is 'special characters' (i.e. ascii values above 127 - the
> 8th bit is used). When I transfer a text file containing special
> characters, the eighth bit gets chopped off in the process (ascii
> transfer with automatic conversion to ebcdic), and I end up with non-
> useable files on the mainframe end.

> Searching IBM's documentation all I've come up with is the CONVXLAT
> utility on OS/390.. but I wouldn't know how to use that.

> I would be very pleased if you'd share your experiences with me on this
> one.

Maybe it's dumb, but doesn't binary transfer mode "bin" work ?

--
Regards
Piotrek Kapczuk

FTP from AIX to OS/390 question

Post by Peter Bjoer » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00

comp.unix.aix:

Quote:>Does anyone have experience in FTP'ing textfiles from AIX to an OS/390
>mainframe ? So far I have succeeded in succesfully transferring text by
>standard FTP. There's a few special SITE commands that regulate dataset
>allocation specifics on the mainframe. So far so good.

>The trouble is 'special characters' (i.e. ascii values above 127 - the
>8th bit is used). When I transfer a text file containing special
>characters, the eighth bit gets chopped off in the process (ascii
>transfer with automatic conversion to ebcdic), and I end up with non-
>useable files on the mainframe end.

I've done text file transfers from AIX to OS/390 a number of times.
There is a way to use the SITE command to specify which codepage
should be used in the conversion from ASCII to EBCDIC.
When you select the prpper codepage, files on AIX with character
values above 127 will be correctly xlated to the corresponding EBCDIC
character.
It probably requires the nessecary codepage to be installed on
the OS/390.
On our OS/390 systems, ISO-8859-1 is the default, but also codepages
such as PC850 is available.
I can't remember the syntax for the codepage selection and I'm at home
now and won't be back at the office until Monday.
I can post an example of the syntax on Monday here or you can mail me
if you want to (your email at "nothing.com" somehow doesn't look
usable).

Regards

Peter

FTP from AIX to OS/390 question

Post by bigtin » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 11:24:54

I ran into this problem when FTPing from a Stratus box to the mainframe. We
eventually had to write a conversion program to convert the text file to
EBCDIC on the Stratus then do a straight binary transfer....it's a
Conanesque  solution, but it might be the way to get around the problem....

Quote:> Does anyone have experience in FTP'ing textfiles from AIX to an OS/390
> mainframe ? So far I have succeeded in succesfully transferring text by
> standard FTP. There's a few special SITE commands that regulate dataset
> allocation specifics on the mainframe. So far so good.

> The trouble is 'special characters' (i.e. ascii values above 127 - the
> 8th bit is used). When I transfer a text file containing special
> characters, the eighth bit gets chopped off in the process (ascii
> transfer with automatic conversion to ebcdic), and I end up with non-
> useable files on the mainframe end.

> Searching IBM's documentation all I've come up with is the CONVXLAT
> utility on OS/390.. but I wouldn't know how to use that.

> I would be very pleased if you'd share your experiences with me on this
> one.

> Thanx,

> EJAY

> AIX Admin, The Netherlands

1. AIX SP2 Connection to MVS OS/390-Host

Hi,

i have a ESCON-Connection (TCP/IP CLAW) between our SP2 and OS/390 Host (for
ADSM Backup primary).

Speed: ca. 8-9 GBytes/per hour
But 9 GBytes/per hour is a little bit too slow for my amount of data.

Are there quicker Connections (with or without ESCON) ?
What's the quickes Connection ?

regards
J. zeiser

2. bootmagic

3. how to syncronize Aix time from OS/390 timed server?

4. Reading data from multiple files to a single file

5. Time synchronization on AIX servers with an OS/390 mainframe

6. StrongArm 1110 SBC

7. Time sysnchronisation on AIX with an OS/390 mainframe

8. Newbie question

9. CICS: choose AIX, OS/390, or NT

10. Analog on OS/390

11. OS/390 APACHECTL START fails to setuid

12. bash on OS/390?

13. Apache supported on OS/390 UNIX?