sort sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting (4.1.3)

sort sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting (4.1.3)

Post by Mike Ellwo » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

On a 4.1.3 system, we intermittently are seeing:

sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting

There is nothing in errpt, and the destination file system of
the sort is certainaly not full.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could mean?

Thanks.

p.s. the actual sort operation is:

sort -d -f -u +0 -1 +1 -2 funds.load | awk '
  { printf "%s %s %s\n", $1, $2, $3 }' >funds.sorted

 *or it might be* :

sort -d -f -u +0 -1 acc_codes.update >acc_codes.sorted

(this is not my code, and I'm not familiar with its design).

Post by Greg Wimpe » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> On a 4.1.3 system, we intermittently are seeing:

> sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting

> There is nothing in errpt, and the destination file system of
> the sort is certainaly not full.

Have you checked the hardware error log (via SMIT or errpt)?  This
error message sounds to me like a genuine write failure, not a "file
system full"-type error.  If it is a disk hardware failure, it should
be recorded in the error log.  I wouldn't be surprised if 'sort' uses
some temporary space in /tmp, so an error on that disk would cause
problems as well.  Hope this helps.
--
Greg Wimpey             Western Geophysical, Div. of Western Atlas Intl, Inc.

sort sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting (4.1.3)

Post by Mike Ellwo » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: >
: > On a 4.1.3 system, we intermittently are seeing:
: >
: > sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting
: >
: >
: > There is nothing in errpt, and the destination file system of
: > the sort is certainaly not full.
: >

: Have you checked the hardware error log (via SMIT or errpt)?  This

Yes (See above) - it was clean.  However, later, reading the man
page for "sort", I see that it uses "/var/tmp", as well as "/tmp"
for work space; this had not previously occurred to me. Sure enough.
/var was uncomfortable low on space. I think this was probably the
problem, which I have now rectified.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--

1. Space requirements sort command (error 0653-657)

Hi,

In a shell script that is used in a production environment
a large file is sorted. The sort fails with the following
error message:

0653-657 A write error occurred while merging

The sort command by default uses /tmp or /usr/tmp. If I
examine available disk space using df while the sort takes
place, I can indeed see the available space being reduced
to 0, at which point the write error occurs.

Obviously, the solution is to ensure sufficient space
is available on either /tmp or on a user specified directory
(using the -T option).

But one question remains: how much space is sufficient?

Is there any information available on what the space requirements
are, preferably in terms of the size of the input file?
If the input file size is N, does sorting require:
- <constant> * N
- <constant> * N * log(N)
- something else?

Does anybody have documentation or an educated guess on this?

Thanks in advance, Mark

2. Free X-server for W95?

3. sort: write error while sorting: No space left on device??

4. GOOD TIMES virus (again)

5. "sort" sorting uppercase/lowercase differently on different boxes

6. Error with slattach

7. Sorting without "sort" ?

8. What tapedrive to use in a Linux-server?

9. default secondary sort line in 'sort'

10. (sort | uniq) vs (sort -u)

11. bash - sort command - can I sort by a certain field?

12. How to have sort start sorting froma given column?

13. Why does sort or GNU sort (v1.5) perform like this?