no pvid on hdisk

Post by Robyn Kowals » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:53:22

Hi,
tryed to generate a volume group on a hdisk with no pvid,- normaly
this is no problem.
In this case I configured a 12-Bay SCSI Disk Array Subsystem of each
128 GB to one physical disk for AIX. And it seems that AIX can't
handle this.
So my question:
How much can AIX handle?
robyn

no pvid on hdisk

Post by Dan Fost » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:12:08

>In this case I configured a 12-Bay SCSI Disk Array Subsystem of each
>128 GB to one physical disk for AIX. And it seems that AIX can't
>handle this.

What is the exact command you used? And what is the error message?

-Dan

no pvid on hdisk

Post by Robyn Kowals » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:00:26

Hi Dan,
no error in report, normal mkvg command receives Method error.
Even if I put pp-size up to 1024MB. I think to set up different LUNs
with a smaller size for hdisks.
robyn

>>In this case I configured a 12-Bay SCSI Disk Array Subsystem of each
>>128 GB to one physical disk for AIX. And it seems that AIX can't
>>handle this.

>What is the exact command you used? And what is the error message?

>-Dan

no pvid on hdisk

Post by Dan Fost » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:16:39

>no error in report, normal mkvg command receives Method error.
>Even if I put pp-size up to 1024MB. I think to set up different LUNs
>with a smaller size for hdisks.

Need to see exact information:

1. # lslpp -l bos.rte.libc

2. The exact command you typed to create the VG

3. The exact error message returned (yes, whole thing)

4. What kind of disks are they? 12, does not sound like a fully populated
   7133 or 2104 drawer. What is the manufacturer and model?

5. # lsdev -Cc disk

FYI: Here's how I calculate minimum PP size required for a VG based on a
128 GB disks:

128 * 1024 = 131072 MB

131072 MB / 1016 PP = 129.007 MB per PP.

PP size is always a power of 2 (see 'man mkvg'), and 129 MB just barely
misses 128 MB PP size. So next power of 2 means minimum PP size is 256 MB.

That means you need to do something like this, for example:

# mkvg -y foovg -s 256 hdisk3

256 MB PP size works; 512 does, and so does 1024, I believe.

So if you are having a problem, it is probably for other reasons. If you
post answer to #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, we can probably figure out reason.

-Dan

no pvid on hdisk

Post by Robyn Kowals » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:48:19

>>no error in report, normal mkvg command receives Method error.
>>Even if I put pp-size up to 1024MB. I think to set up different LUNs
>>with a smaller size for hdisks.

>Need to see exact information:

>1. # lslpp -l bos.rte.libc

>2. The exact command you typed to create the VG

>3. The exact error message returned (yes, whole thing)

>4. What kind of disks are they? 12, does not sound like a fully populated
>   7133 or 2104 drawer. What is the manufacturer and model?

>5. # lsdev -Cc disk

>FYI: Here's how I calculate minimum PP size required for a VG based on a
>128 GB disks:

>128 * 1024 = 131072 MB

>131072 MB / 1016 PP = 129.007 MB per PP.

>PP size is always a power of 2 (see 'man mkvg'), and 129 MB just barely
>misses 128 MB PP size. So next power of 2 means minimum PP size is 256 MB.

>That means you need to do something like this, for example:

># mkvg -y foovg -s 256 hdisk3

>256 MB PP size works; 512 does, and so does 1024, I believe.

>So if you are having a problem, it is probably for other reasons. If you
>post answer to #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, we can probably figure out reason.

>-Dan

Hi Dan,
1. bos.rte.lbc 4.3.3.85 com.
instfix -i|grep ML = all filesets for ML10
2. mkvg -f -y testvg -s 1024 hdisknn
3. DISK_ERR2, this meens normaly "Device does not respond" Action:
Check power supply
4. Well :-) it's a very cheep one, IFT-7250, costs about Euro 7000 and
maybe this is my problem now. We are not using any SSA technologie,
but some big EMC and Clariion FC 4500 and 4700 Subsystems, but in this
case there is no need for expenceive hardware.
Now I try to initialize only 3 disks with raid5 and put smaller disk
amount to the LUN.
It was even not possible to choise the diskspace to the different
LUN0-7
robyn

no pvid on hdisk

Post by Robyn Kowals » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:43:46

>>>no error in report, normal mkvg command receives Method error.
>>>Even if I put pp-size up to 1024MB. I think to set up different LUNs
>>>with a smaller size for hdisks.

>>Need to see exact information:

>>1. # lslpp -l bos.rte.libc

>>2. The exact command you typed to create the VG

>>3. The exact error message returned (yes, whole thing)

>>4. What kind of disks are they? 12, does not sound like a fully populated
>>   7133 or 2104 drawer. What is the manufacturer and model?

>>5. # lsdev -Cc disk

>>FYI: Here's how I calculate minimum PP size required for a VG based on a
>>128 GB disks:

>>128 * 1024 = 131072 MB

>>131072 MB / 1016 PP = 129.007 MB per PP.

>>PP size is always a power of 2 (see 'man mkvg'), and 129 MB just barely
>>misses 128 MB PP size. So next power of 2 means minimum PP size is 256 MB.

>>That means you need to do something like this, for example:

>># mkvg -y foovg -s 256 hdisk3

>>256 MB PP size works; 512 does, and so does 1024, I believe.

>>So if you are having a problem, it is probably for other reasons. If you
>>post answer to #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, we can probably figure out reason.

>>-Dan

>Hi Dan,
>1. bos.rte.lbc 4.3.3.85 com.
>instfix -i|grep ML = all filesets for ML10
>2. mkvg -f -y testvg -s 1024 hdisknn
>3. DISK_ERR2, this meens normaly "Device does not respond" Action:
>Check power supply
>4. Well :-) it's a very cheep one, IFT-7250, costs about Euro 7000 and
>maybe this is my problem now. We are not using any SSA technologie,
>but some big EMC and Clariion FC 4500 and 4700 Subsystems, but in this
>case there is no need for expenceive hardware.
>Now I try to initialize only 3 disks with raid5 and put smaller disk
>amount to the LUN.
>It was even not possible to choise the diskspace to the different
>LUN0-7
>robyn

now I figured it out. Problem is that the IFT 6300 12 Way Subsystem
has got a new Firmware where the producer has taken out the
Partitioning of one big single RAID5 Group to smaller LUNs.
Well I still don't get a VolumeGroup on one big single hdisk, but this
is maybe a reason of using old MC technologie.

Now I have upgraded the Firmware with the option "Partitioning
View/Edit" included,- for some reason you will not get that Firmware
on the ftpservers from Infortrend???So ask your Reseller.

robyn

1. SSA-hdisk without pvid!

Hello!

I have a little problem. On a new H80, 2 internal SCSI
9GB and 32 external SSA devices (a 9GB) 3 of them
didnt get a pvid. All of them should be in the same vg
(shoulnt be a problem). But during adding them some errors
occured. Maybe to much at one time. So I try to add them
part by part. But without pvid the cant be added anyway.
I removed them via smitty as logical and physical disk.
Then I run cfgmgr but nothing happend. After a reboot the
devices are back, but still without a pvid.
Did I do something wrong? Did I miss something?
Any help appreciate

regards
Frank

2. Install help: invalid format with kernel

3. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

4. Use __set_current_state() instead of current->state = (take 1)

5. CD-RW: CDFS? Unstable dev nos?

6. Routing problem.

7. NOS shootout

8. Taking over CPU

9. Seeds for random nos.

10. faster NOS: NetWare or Linux?

11. Software to read NOS/VE backup tapes

12. Help: What is best NOS/platform for Oracle?