1. Client/Server between AIX (RS/6000) and CICS-MVS (IBM 390)
I have previously posted this article but i want to make some precisions
about the context. The sitation i describe is not the situation of
the Centre de recherche informatique de Montreal or the CGI group,
it is the situation of one of my clients.
I am currently working on the design of a technological infrastructure
that will support several client/server applications between an IBM 390
with MVS an CICS, and a local platforms composed of thousands of
individual workstations. Currently, we have about 830 PC (25% Macintosh)
and more than 1600 3270 terminals that will be replaced by PC (PS/2).
People from IBM here are mainly pushing to use CICS on local OS/2 that
will work as application server for the workstations. This server
would route the resquests from the stations (using DBM and CM) into
CICS exec link to the mainframe.
Since OS/2 is not multiuser, and the security would be a complex mix and
match of LanServer, CICS on this server and on the mainframe, and also
that the performance on this local server will be limited to the PS/2,
i would like to present an other alternative.
The alternative would be to use an RS-6000(with AIX) on the local platform.
The client applications would run on this machine and would communicate
with the mainframe with CICS or an RPC mecanism (using LU6.2). The
worstations could use the "corporate" applications thru Xwindow emulation
and would be isolated from local applications (word-processing, spreadsheet
etc). This will ease the integration of the Mac, OS/2, and Windows and
would be (i think) more secure. I have to say that the main purpose of
this is to have a GUI interface to corporate applications. These appliations
will be reconstruted from the ground to answers the news needs of the
corporation. It is clearly stated that all the "corporate" data will stay
on the mainframe. (By the way it is a "blue blood" corporation).
THE QUESTIONS ARE :
1. Is there any configuration like this (working or being planned) ?
(I would like to have a short description of the enviroment)
2. Could someone from the AIX group in IBM give me some help because
local rep. are heavily OS/2 minded ?
(This help could be treated anonymously :-), if you prefer...
3. Does someone ever use the alternate authentification method that is
available in SMIT to get this authentification from a mainframe
using a LU6.2 request to ACF/2 or RACF ?
You can mail me the answers to me and i could post a summary later.
Thank you in advance for your reply and excuse me for my english ...
Martial Van Neste
5300 blvd. des Galeries
Quebec, Canada G6V 6H3
tel. (418) 623-0101
Fax. (418) 623-4114
2. nawk for freebsd
3. Reading/Writing IBM mainframe tape files on AIX?
4. Terminal Installation on 264DP with RH6.0
5. aix on IBM mainframes
6. Unix Backups
7. What mail servers I can get for IBM UNIX (AIX)
8. Network modems--possible?
9. IBM mainframe to UNIX print spool
10. UNIX for IBM mainframe???
11. IBM mainframe/Unix connectivity questions/issues
12. A Single Windows Interface to Access UNIX, IBM Mainframe, and AS/400 hosts
13. Possible to telnet IBM mainframe -> Unix?