HACMP/ES support for Gigabit adapters

Post by John Schneide » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,
    I have a customer running HACMP/ES on a two-node cluster with a S7A
set up to fail over to a J50.  Today both are using 100Mb Ethernet
adapters to attach
to the network.  But they would like to upgrade the S7A to use Gigabit
ethernet adapters
instead of 100Mb.  But the J50 is a microchannel system, and there is no
Gigabit
ethernet adapter available for it.
    Will HACMP allow resources on a system with a Gigabit ethernet
adapter to
fail over to another system with a 100Mb ethernet?  If so, are there any
special
versions/patches I need to be running to support this?

Thanks for any advice,

John Schneider

* Lowery Systems, Inc.
* 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
* Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.

HACMP/ES support for Gigabit adapters

Post by milline » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Greetings,
>     I have a customer running HACMP/ES on a two-node cluster with a S7A
> set up to fail over to a J50.  Today both are using 100Mb Ethernet
> adapters to attach
> to the network.  But they would like to upgrade the S7A to use Gigabit
> ethernet adapters
> instead of 100Mb.  But the J50 is a microchannel system, and there is no
> Gigabit
> ethernet adapter available for it.
>     Will HACMP allow resources on a system with a Gigabit ethernet
> adapter to
> fail over to another system with a 100Mb ethernet?  If so, are there any
> special
> versions/patches I need to be running to support this?

There's no reason in principle why you shouldn't do it assuming that the
network switches allow you place the gigabit and 100Mbps adapters in the
same network. I've not been paying too much attention to the announcements
so I don't know if there's an HA NIM for the giga card yet.

However, I'm not sure that the S7A could actually drive the Gigabit card
flat out. If your customer has Cisco switches he may find that running AIX
4.3.3 with Cisco's channel aggregation over multiple 100Mbps cards is a
better option, since the cards could be spread over multiple PCI busses,
whereas the Gigabit card would only have one. Furthermore, unless you have
jumbo frame support throughout your network (unlikely), it's difficult to
make efficient use of gigabit. Right now it's more of a backbone option.

Regards,

Derek.

HACMP/ES support for Gigabit adapters

Post by Darrell Frappi » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Greetings,
>    I have a customer running HACMP/ES on a two-node cluster with a S7A
>set up to fail over to a J50.  Today both are using 100Mb Ethernet
>adapters to attach
>to the network.  But they would like to upgrade the S7A to use Gigabit
>ethernet adapters
>instead of 100Mb.  But the J50 is a microchannel system, and there is no
>Gigabit
>ethernet adapter available for it.
>    Will HACMP allow resources on a system with a Gigabit ethernet
>adapter to
>fail over to another system with a 100Mb ethernet?  If so, are there any
>special
>versions/patches I need to be running to support this?

I worked on a pair of S70 machines in a HACMP cluster.  The primary
was a gigabit adapter and the standby on each was a 10/100.  HACMP had
no problem with this.  We opened a problem with IBM SupportLine and
they told me this was 'supported'.

1. Weird behaviour after upgrading from HACMP/ES 4.4.0 to HACMP/ES 4.4.1

All,

I recently upgraded a 2 nodes cluster (cascading) from HACMP/ES 4.4.0
to HACMP/ES 4.4.1, and the cluster behaves weirdly! After upgrading
the primary node, and after a reboot (as per documentation), I restart
cluster manager. The node is joigning the cluster, then the resource
group travel gently from the backup node to the fresh upgraded primary
node. Everything is fine, filesystems are mounted, application server
is started, then when you think you are done, a swap adapter event
occurred on the node, and the standby adapter becomes the service
adapter. After all the software and hardware checking, I couldn't find
any trouble on the adapter...

Did you notice such behaviour?

Thierry

2. Fork(),zombie processes, and children

3. Difference between HACMP and HACMP/ES

4. tftpd for solaris 2.4

5. Where to get or buy ES-255 and ES-220 or exchanging with ES-310 ?

6. Veritas Foundation vs Solstice Disk Suite

7. does HACMP 4.4.1 support multi standby adapter?

8. COMDEX - Linux

9. HACMP/es + nfs + ops

10. Etherchannel and HACMP ES

11. HACMP/ES 4.4.1 NFS problem