NFS problem

Post by Louis Banen » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

We have an NT-machine that we can access via NFS on our AIX-box. We have
problems when trying to zip files (pkzip) that reside on the NT-machine. It
takes very long or the process doesn't finish at all. This doesn't happen
when the files are on the AIX box. Can this be a buffering or block-size
problem (or something like that) ?

Thanks,

Louis Banens

NFS problem

Post by lomas » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Unfortunately I cannot answer you question, but I have a question for
you regarding NFS mounting to NT.  Are you using services for unix on
the NT box?  If so, how is the response time?  We are attempting to do
the same here.  I can go over to the NT box and see the files, but when
viewing the files from window explorer I see a stop sign next to the
directory.  Is it possible to share your experience with this matter?

lomasb

Quote:> Hi,

> We have an NT-machine that we can access via NFS on our AIX-box. We
have
> problems when trying to zip files (pkzip) that reside on the NT-
machine. It
> takes very long or the process doesn't finish at all. This doesn't
happen
> when the files are on the AIX box. Can this be a buffering or block-
size
> problem (or something like that) ?

> Thanks,

> Louis Banens

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NFS problem

Post by Apadley19 » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:00:00

We tried using NFS clients on the NT box and the performance seemed ok.

I then installed SAMBA on the AIX box and uninstalled the NFS clients on NT and
the performace was so much faster!!

You get the advantage that the software is free and you don't have to install
in on the Windows machines you want to access. Using DOMAIN security, you can
even authenticate users with an NT PDC before mapping them to a UNIX usersname
to access the Filesystems. We've never looked back

Andy

NFS problem

Post by Ric River » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Are you trying to pkzip a file on a remote filesystem?

If you are, then of course it's going to be slow.  NFS is great for
simple stuff, but for intense file manipulation like PK requires, NFS
has way too much overhead.

You're better off downloading it and zipping it up locally.

Ric

+AD4- Hi,
+AD4-
+AD4- We have an NT-machine that we can access via NFS on our AIX-box. We have
+AD4- problems when trying to zip files (pkzip) that reside on the NT-machine. It
+AD4- takes very long or the process doesn't finish at all. This doesn't happen
+AD4- when the files are on the AIX box. Can this be a buffering or block-size
+AD4- problem (or something like that) ?
+AD4-
+AD4- Thanks,
+AD4-
+AD4- Louis Banens

1. NFS Problems... "Unknown NFS client"

Hi!

I have just installed Slackware 2.3 and I'm trying to use NFS
with a Sun.

I can mount drives on the Sun, but the Sun can't mount drives on my
Linux box. I have stripped the /etc/exports file to include only:

/usr/local    *.my.domain(ro)

Yet, I receive messages like this in the syslog on the Linux box:

mount[49]: Unknown NFS client 191.214.xxx.yyy tried to access /usr/local

I have DNS working, and I have tried to put the Sun in my /etc/hosts
file to no avail...

Anyone know what could be wrong?!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
   Fredrik Lindgren

2. Welcome to comp.unix.questions [Frequent posting]

3. NFS problems with PC/TCP's NFS

4. Advice wanted - linux as a PPP router

5. NFS problem: NFS client hosed by windows machine?

6. Developing a device driver

7. NFS problem and swapping problem

8. kern config under RH5.1

9. NFS Problem