Howto configure AIX DHCP Client ?

Post by zumb » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:33:09

I use DHCP on my AIX box at home . I want to connect to my Cable ISP as a
DHCP Client . only thing I did was this :
smit
Communications Applications and Services
TCP/IP
Use DHCP for TCPIP Configuration and Startup
"Select the interface you want to use"
en0
"Enter a hostname"
OK

after that I edit /etc/resolv.conf  it look like this

domain    hispeed.ch
nameserver :  IP nameserver 1
nameserver :  IP nameserver 2

The DHCP Server serve me with a IP adress and I can connect via ftp, telnet
ect.
BUT : If I start the CDE and login, the following message appear :
Could not start DT Message System .......
....and have a look at your /etc/hosts for proper Hostname bla bla bla.
After pushing the ok Button the system goes back to de CDE login.

What did I wrong or forget ? Is there any guru outside who can give a
beginner a little finger :)

Thx
zumbi

Howto configure AIX DHCP Client ?

Post by Urban A. Haa » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 02:40:35

For CDE to work, you hostname must be resolvable as a IP address. This
presents problems with DHCP, but you could probably automate a hack to
update /etc/hosts with the en0 IP address returned from DHCP.

Urban

Quote:> I use DHCP on my AIX box at home . I want to connect to my Cable ISP as a