Alliance forms to tackle Microsoft

Post by bradley grigo » Sat, 20 Mar 1993 05:36:26

In today's Globe & Mail (Toronto, March 18, 1993), there was a
brief Reuters article "announcing" the formation of an alliance
of six major companies, including IBM, HP and Sun, to develop a
new UNIX (based on existing UNIX implementations) to counter the
threat allegedly posed by Microsoft's Windows NT in the
workstation marketplace.  The article suggests a strong overlap
or even conflict with other IBM-alliance and OSF-related "open"
and vendor-independent initiatives.  Can anyone enlighten me on
what this is really all about?  Thanks.

...bag   Newmarket, Ontario, Canada  | RelayNet: ->CRS (Public Key: 7596)

---
 t DeLuxey 1.26b #4613 t Today the sun, tonight the MOON! WHEN WILL IT END?
--
Canada Remote Systems - Toronto, Ontario
416-629-7000/629-7044

Post by David Joyn » Sat, 20 Mar 1993 12:15:26

"bradley grigor" (bradley.gri...@canrem.com) wrote:

:
: Can anyone enlighten me on what this is really all about?  Thanks.
:

Maybe this will help:

--
David Joyner (nsys...@acs.ncsu.edu)
Unix Systems Programmer                            | Phone: (919) 515-2794  |