cu works but tip doesn't (RS/6000 AIX 3003)

cu works but tip doesn't (RS/6000 AIX 3003)

Post by Ed Rav » Wed, 27 Mar 1991 14:14:12

Have only been using the RS/6000 a few days, but BNU UUCP works as expected
if not a little better.  My old nemesis, "cu", even behaves itself and does
exactly what I tell it to do when I want to "cu sysname".  But "tip sysname"
tells me that it's "connected" but no characters are sent/received.  Setting
up /etc/remote for the tty and speed desired works (or rather, doesn't work)
similiarly.

I'm not even sure I understand why uucp is working so well.  My two tty ports
are both configured in smit as "delay", that is, bidirectional, and if I look
at /dev/tty0 and 1 they are both owned by root.  "cu" is setuid root, so that
might be why it can access the ports without problem, but "uucico" is setuid
for uucp and it works just fine.  "tip" has no setuid privileges.

Is there some subtlety with permissions that I'm missing here?  There's no
reason why I should prefer "tip" over "cu", but I hate mysteries and i'd like
to have other non-privileged programs (such as Kermit) work over shared serial
ports.

Ed Ravin            |
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | pardon our appearance -- .signature under construction
philabs!trintex!elr |

1. Upgrading to 3003 on an RS/6000

We recently upgrades to 3003.  I have a collection of Fortran and C
routines called grafic (a simple scientific plotting package).  When
I tried to link with this library after the upgrade, ld reported that
.#SYSTEM and .#ABORT were undefined.  I took this to mean that I should
recompile everything.  After I recompiled the library and the main
program, I still had the undefined symbols.

Am I right in assuming that .#SYSTEM and .#ABORT are new to this release?

Is it likely that there is a mismatch of the compilers and libraries?

2. Talk (and Ntalk) protocol

3. help - serial comm

4. Elm 2.4 pl 21 on RS/6000 - compiles, doesn't work

5. GNU date?

6. Help Tip command doesn't work in AIX UNIX

7. eepro100 slow after reboot (fwd)

8. RS/6000 error msgs (Was: Re: RS/6000 survey - will post summary)

9. Fonts for InfoExplorer on RS/6000 (was: Re: Font problems on RS/6000 running X11R5)

10. pcnet32 on 2.4.18 doesn't init on IBM rs/6000 B50 (powerpc)

11. Does the Fujitsu M2652SA 1.7GB drive work on a RS/6000 (AIX 3.2.0) ?

12. tip makes it to my ISP, but cu doesn't?