Sendmail to send all Internet mail to internal Microsoft Exchange server

Sendmail to send all Internet mail to internal Microsoft Exchange server

Post by C C » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:47:59

Hello!  I have posted this in the comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup but no one
has replied from there.  Maybe someone can point me to the right direction
here in this newsgroup.  Thanks.

We just acquired an IBM RS6000 a couple months ago.  We have a Microsoft
Exchange Server in our LAN which does our mail delivery both internal and
Internet.  The RS6000 is connected to our LAN.  We would like sendmail to
forward mail that is formatted with the Internet addressing (in our case

MS Exchange server at port 25.  I have tried the following:  setup entries
of our Exchange server, and our proxy server in the /etc/hosts file.
Changed the default gateway in the Unix box to point to our proxy server,
which forwards any incoming mail to the exchange server.  When I send e-mail
to my Exchange mailbox from the Unix, the message is returned to me with the
error "There is a Host Name Lookup Failure".  We are not using DNS on the
Unix box because it is a standalone box except for e-mail and ftp to/from
internal workstations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carlos

Sendmail to send all Internet mail to internal Microsoft Exchange server

Post by arsha » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 06:55:10

In netsvc.conf put
hosts=local4,bind4
or export NSORDER=local,bind for the user who is sending the mails.

Arshad

>Hello!  I have posted this in the comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup but no one
>has replied from there.  Maybe someone can point me to the right direction
>here in this newsgroup.  Thanks.

>We just acquired an IBM RS6000 a couple months ago.  We have a Microsoft
>Exchange Server in our LAN which does our mail delivery both internal and
>Internet.  The RS6000 is connected to our LAN.  We would like sendmail to
>forward mail that is formatted with the Internet addressing (in our case

>MS Exchange server at port 25.  I have tried the following:  setup entries
>of our Exchange server, and our proxy server in the /etc/hosts file.
>Changed the default gateway in the Unix box to point to our proxy server,
>which forwards any incoming mail to the exchange server.  When I send e-mail
>to my Exchange mailbox from the Unix, the message is returned to me with the
>error "There is a Host Name Lookup Failure".  We are not using DNS on the
>Unix box because it is a standalone box except for e-mail and ftp to/from
>internal workstations.

>Thanks in advance for your help.

>Carlos

Sendmail to send all Internet mail to internal Microsoft Exchange server

Post by bo » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:35:26

Make sendmail relay all of its stuff off of the remote,
check the /etc/sendmail.cf file and find the line:

DS...

Thats the smart-relay, set it to DSyourmailserverhere

Hoof sendmail and restart it...

stopsrc -s sendmail
startsrc -s sendmail

As mentioned by others, setup your dns

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver yournameserveriphere

/etc/netsvc.conf
hosts = hosts, bind

brett

> Hello!  I have posted this in the comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup but no one
> has replied from there.  Maybe someone can point me to the right direction
> here in this newsgroup.  Thanks.

> We just acquired an IBM RS6000 a couple months ago.  We have a Microsoft
> Exchange Server in our LAN which does our mail delivery both internal and
> Internet.  The RS6000 is connected to our LAN.  We would like sendmail to
> forward mail that is formatted with the Internet addressing (in our case

> MS Exchange server at port 25.  I have tried the following:  setup entries
> of our Exchange server, and our proxy server in the /etc/hosts file.
> Changed the default gateway in the Unix box to point to our proxy server,
> which forwards any incoming mail to the exchange server.  When I send e-mail
> to my Exchange mailbox from the Unix, the message is returned to me with the
> error "There is a Host Name Lookup Failure".  We are not using DNS on the
> Unix box because it is a standalone box except for e-mail and ftp to/from
> internal workstations.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

> Carlos

Sendmail to send all Internet mail to internal Microsoft Exchange server

Post by C C » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:14:38

I have tried this but it's still the same!  I can not send out an e-mail to
a user in the Exchange machine.

> Make sendmail relay all of its stuff off of the remote,
> check the /etc/sendmail.cf file and find the line:

> DS...

> Thats the smart-relay, set it to DSyourmailserverhere

> Hoof sendmail and restart it...

> stopsrc -s sendmail
> startsrc -s sendmail

> As mentioned by others, setup your dns

> /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver yournameserveriphere

> /etc/netsvc.conf
> hosts = hosts, bind

> brett

> > Hello!  I have posted this in the comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup but no
one
> > has replied from there.  Maybe someone can point me to the right
direction
> > here in this newsgroup.  Thanks.

> > We just acquired an IBM RS6000 a couple months ago.  We have a Microsoft
> > Exchange Server in our LAN which does our mail delivery both internal
and
> > Internet.  The RS6000 is connected to our LAN.  We would like sendmail
> > forward mail that is formatted with the Internet addressing (in our case

our
> > MS Exchange server at port 25.  I have tried the following:  setup
entries
> > of our Exchange server, and our proxy server in the /etc/hosts file.
> > Changed the default gateway in the Unix box to point to our proxy
server,
> > which forwards any incoming mail to the exchange server.  When I send
e-mail
> > to my Exchange mailbox from the Unix, the message is returned to me with
the
> > error "There is a Host Name Lookup Failure".  We are not using DNS on
the
> > Unix box because it is a standalone box except for e-mail and ftp
to/from
> > internal workstations.

> > Thanks in advance for your help.

> > Carlos

Sendmail to send all Internet mail to internal Microsoft Exchange server

Post by sp2 admi » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:09:14

from /etc/sendmail.cf :

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
# Relay host to forward outgoing mail not in the local domain to.
# To forward ALL mail to this relay host, uncomment the appropriate
# rule in ruleset 0, as indicated by the ruleset's comments.
#DSmailer:relayhostname

change the last line then refresh sendmail.

Post by Mike Howar » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:53:00

> We just acquired an IBM RS6000 a couple months ago.  We have a Microsoft
> Exchange Server in our LAN which does our mail delivery both internal and
> Internet.  The RS6000 is connected to our LAN.  We would like sendmail to
> forward mail that is formatted with the Internet addressing (in our case

> MS Exchange server at port 25.

You need to have DNS setup correctly, ie setup for sendmail. Create a file named
'/etc/netsvc.conf' with the line 'hosts = local, bind'. Create a file
'/etc/resolv.conf' with the followng lines;

domain aaa.bbb.ccc
nameserver 0.0.0.0
nameserver 1.1.1.1

Insert the correct details for your companys domain and primary / secondry DNS
servers.

To check that address can be resolved type 'nslookup mail.company.com' replacing
'mail.company.com' with the correct info.

Hope this helps.

1. Sending mail to Microsoft Exchange Server

We are using CA Unicenter Service Desk 5.5. on Solaris 8. I have
configured the notification in such a way that the mail to goes to the
email recipient and i am testing it on our exchange server (i want the
mail to go from the Solaris Box to the exchange server). The
ServiceDesk has scripts which use the sendmail utility to send mails.
But, the mails are not going. What configuration changes should i do
to get this working?

2. BSD 4.2 talkd

3. How to make that Sendmail send mails to Exchange server

4. xwindows login

5. mail - Sending mail to Exchange Server

6. ghost image on "older" S3 Trio 732

7. Help: Microsoft Internet mail loses mail from SCO 5.0.2 sendmail

8. Glade proplem

9. Sending Internet mail through MS Exchange

10. For Help:sendmail can not send mail to a lotus mail server

11. sendmail mail server does not accept sending mail from remote clients

12. How can I get mail from "Microsoft Exchange Server" in linux?

13. After rebooting sendmail servers, internal servers must fully qualify for mail