RS/6000 vs other workstations

Post by he.. » Sat, 01 Dec 1990 12:27:56

My project is contemplating purchasing some unix workstations shortly.  We
are looking at a number of systems to fit the bill.  I would be interested
in hearing feedback from from those who use *BOTH* RS/6000's and other
current-model unix graphics workstations (Sun, Mips, DEC and SGI workstations
in particular).  Main points of interest are ease of setup/use/maintenance
of the system (network), programming ease/difficulty, compatibility, and
support.  Lastly, I'd like to pose the question, "would you buy one again
if you had the chance".

I'm aware that this leaves the door wide open for responses.  That's just
fine with me.  I'm happy to hear any praise or complaints (here's your
chance to get something off your chest).

Because I'm likely to get lots of response, DON'T POST YOUR RESPONSE TO
THIS NEWSGROUP.  Mail it to me instead.  I *will* summarize (might be long).
If you respond, but don't want your response in the summary, I will honour your
request.

Thankyou for your help.

CREWES project.
Dept of Geology and Geophysics
University of Calgary, Canada

1. Technical workstation comparison (RS/6000 vs. SS10)

An associate is looking for any type of technical comparison of the
Sun Sparc10 models 41 and 51 with a IBM RS/6000 model 580.  If you
have done a comparison or know of any magazine articles that compare
these boxes from a technical point-of-view I would appreciate hearing
from you.

Thanks in advance,
Ray
--
Ray Smith                           Computer Sciences Corporation

2. serious libc.5.2.18-upgrade problems

3. RS/6000 error msgs (Was: Re: RS/6000 survey - will post summary)

4. SineClock for Linux ?

5. Fonts for InfoExplorer on RS/6000 (was: Re: Font problems on RS/6000 running X11R5)

6. mail fetching

7. aix level numbers, rs/6000 and others

8. help with solution to keep 2 servers in sync

9. counterstrike server on IBM RS/6000 Workstation

10. FS: IBM RS/6000 Server/Workstation Powerstation 320H now at $15.51

11. WordPerfect on IBM RS/6000 Workstations

12. FS: IBM RS/6000 7012 320H AIX Server/Workstation now at $5.00

13. FS: 7006-410 RS/6000 Workstation