Uncompressing Files

Post by Richar » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 01:28:40

I downloaded a couple of shareware type programs to try them out but they
are compressed.  Looking at the two different files they look like they
might be compressed in different ways.

- monitor217pre8.tgz
- vnc-3.3.3-aix-4.1.5.tar.gz

I'm not very famailiar with with AIX commands yet.  Can anyone help me with
the command line needed to uncompress these?  Even better, is there a site
that explains which tool to use for which type of extension?  I did my
fixpack from IBM using zcat U468790.tar.Z | tar xf - but even that one had a
different naming convention.

Thanks

Richard Speiss

Uncompressing Files

Post by Matthew Land » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 00:49:03

> I downloaded a couple of shareware type programs to try them out but they
> are compressed.  Looking at the two different files they look like they
> might be compressed in different ways.

> - monitor217pre8.tgz
> - vnc-3.3.3-aix-4.1.5.tar.gz

> I'm not very famailiar with with AIX commands yet.  Can anyone help me with
> the command line needed to uncompress these?  Even better, is there a site
> that explains which tool to use for which type of extension?  I did my
> fixpack from IBM using zcat U468790.tar.Z | tar xf - but even that one had a
> different naming convention.

> Thanks

> Richard Speiss

The .tgz is the same as a .tar.gz.  To uncompress and untar one of these
you can run:

gunzip -c filename.tgz |tar -xvf -
gunzip -c filename.tar.gz |tar -xvf -

 - Matt

   << Comments, views, and opinions are mine alone, not IBM's. >>

Uncompressing Files

Post by sol gongol » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 04:00:27

They both are a combination of gzip/gunzip and tar.
gzip is freeware. you can get an executable from
   http://www.bull.de/

In fact you can also get monitor and vnc executables
from that same site.

sol gongola

> I downloaded a couple of shareware type programs to try them out but they
> are compressed.  Looking at the two different files they look like they
> might be compressed in different ways.

> - monitor217pre8.tgz
> - vnc-3.3.3-aix-4.1.5.tar.gz

> I'm not very famailiar with with AIX commands yet.  Can anyone help me with
> the command line needed to uncompress these?  Even better, is there a site
> that explains which tool to use for which type of extension?  I did my
> fixpack from IBM using zcat U468790.tar.Z | tar xf - but even that one had a
> different naming convention.

> Thanks

> Richard Speiss

1. Uncompressing files with .Z .z and some .gz/missing libs

I really need help on this one:

Everytime I download a file (in binary mode) I can't uncompress it.
Only files with .tgz and some .gz (such as netscape 2.02) are succesful.
How should I uncompress .Z (mosaic) .z and the other .gz?????

My syntax for gzip is "gunzip file.gz". It works fine with few.
I use Slackware Linux 3.0 and XFree86 3.1.2.

My other problem is libs. I mentioned earlier that I got Netscape
succesfully uncompressed. But when it comes time to run it, it says
"Missing libm.so.4 library". I found libm.so.4.z in a few ftp sites, but
since it is in .z, I can't uncompress it. A book told me to use gzip for
z, I tried it. It created a libm.so.4 file, but interpreted it as a text
file. I tried linking 5 to 4, but it froze XFree86 and I had to cold boot
my computer.

Please Help.

2. Does Solaris support OSPF?

3. Uncompressing Files?

4. Adobe Acrobat reader for Linux?

5. uncompressing an incomplete tar file

6. Iomega Zip speed ?

7. uncompressing .Z files in a DOS environment

8. HELP: Serial Port Problems on x86.

9. Error Uncompressing Large Files...

10. compressing files on a PC - uncompressing on mainframe

11. problem uncompressing kde bz2 source files

12. zlib and uncompressing a gziped file in c/++

13. Uncompressing a file...