value of the variable DISPLAY AIX

Post by Pascal PLEI » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I search the value of the variable DISPLAY when i use the consol of my AIX.

Thanks a lot

Pascal PLEIS

value of the variable DISPLAY AIX

Post by Erik Moesberge » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

This variable should be the hostname followed by
:0.0
.e.g

bach.klm.nl:0.0
or
152.26.37.19:0.0

You also can use your loopback adres on your graphical console 127.0.0.2:0.0

>I search the value of the variable DISPLAY when i use the consol of my AIX.

>Thanks a lot

>Pascal PLEIS

value of the variable DISPLAY AIX

Post by Alex Robinso » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

"Communication from Xlib to the X server is handled in one of three ways:

        (1) Unix domain sockets
        (2) TCP domain sockets
        (3) Shared Memory Sockets

  Unix domain sockets is a mechanism that has been inherited from the MIT as
  the default transport mechanism. TCP sockets are used on the RISC
System/6000
  when the application (client) being run is on a remote machine. Shared
Memory
  Sockets are a newly developed mechanism that was designed specifically for
  X server performance gains.

  The Shared Memory Sockets mechanism was developed to increase performance
of
  the transfer of data from the client application (through Xlib) to the X
  server. The  standard communication mechanism for local X clients is UNIX
  domain sockets.  This design provides a set of services to facilitate the
use
  of shared memory as a protocol transport mechanism for local clients."
.
.
.
"DISPLAY is an existing environment variable. It is commonly manipulated by
  X aficionados. This variable is used to specify the connection to a
specific
  X server. It can specify any number of either a local or remote X servers.
By
  default DISPLAY is set to ":disp.scr". This convention specifies that the
  user would like to connect to the X server specified by "disp.scr" and use
  the fastest available transport method (in our case, SMT). If the DISPLAY
  variable is set to "unix:disp.scr" then Unix domain sockets are used. If
it
  is set to "hostname:disp.scr" then TCP sockets are used to transport the
data
  to the X server."
--
Regards,
Alex Robinson

value of the variable DISPLAY AIX

Post by Pascal PLEI » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

thanks
PAPL.

Post by Vic Abe » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>"Communication from Xlib to the X server is handled in one of three ways:
>        (3) Shared Memory Sockets

For more information on SMT, see /usr/lpp/X11/README.SMT.