Running Software built on/for AIX 4.3.3 on AIX 5.x

Running Software built on/for AIX 4.3.3 on AIX 5.x

Post by A Raghura » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 02:57:33

Hi,
   A customer of ours wants to use the saoftware that was built on/for
AIX 4.3.3 on their AIX 5.0 machine. The IBM website mentions that this
should be possible but they only mention binaries and state that we
should have coded using IBM guidelines. I was wondering if any of you
out there has already tested something like this. If anyone has could
please share your experiences ? Our software is multitheaded and we make
extensive use of shared libraries/objects. Did anyone face problems in
these areas ? Did anyone of you face problems whereby you had not choice
but to port your software for AIX 5.x ?

Thanks in advance for any info

A Raghuram

Post by Jeff Trawic » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 09:37:42

> Hi,
>    A customer of ours wants to use the saoftware that was built on/for
> AIX 4.3.3 on their AIX 5.0 machine. The IBM website mentions that this
> should be possible but they only mention binaries and state that we
> should have coded using IBM guidelines. I was wondering if any of you
> out there has already tested something like this. If anyone has could
> please share your experiences ? Our software is multitheaded and we make
> extensive use of shared libraries/objects. Did anyone face problems in
> these areas ? Did anyone of you face problems whereby you had not choice
> but to port your software for AIX 5.x ?

The only big application I work with is Apache 2.0.  I regularly build
it on AIX 4.3.3 and run it on AIX 5.  I haven't encountered any
compatibility problems.  It is/can be heavily multithreaded.

I haven't tried building on 5 and running on 4.3.3 and I don't intend
to either :)

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Running Software built on/for AIX 4.3.3 on AIX 5.x

Post by Bob Mariot » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 12:38:22

We run ALL our 4.2.1 scripts and binaries on boxes with 5.1L with no
problems what so ever.  Go for it.

Running Software built on/for AIX 4.3.3 on AIX 5.x

Post by Paul Pluzhniko » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 14:44:21

Quote:>    A customer of ours wants to use the saoftware that was built on/for
> AIX 4.3.3 on their AIX 5.0 machine. The IBM website mentions that this
> should be possible but they only mention binaries and state that we
> should have coded using IBM guidelines. I was wondering if any of you
> out there has already tested something like this. If anyone has could
> please share your experiences ? Our software is multitheaded and we make
> extensive use of shared libraries/objects. Did anyone face problems in
> these areas ? Did anyone of you face problems whereby you had not choice
> but to port your software for AIX 5.x ?

As others have indicated, binaries built on 4.3.x should run
just fine on 5.x ... Not so for 64-bit libraries or objects:

    # checks.o was built with '-q64' on aix4.3.3.0

    /usr/vacpp/bin/xlc junk.c checks.o -q64
    ld: 0711-740 ERROR: Input file checks.o:
        is a discontinued XCOFF64 file.

So if your product requires your customer to (re)link anything
on his machine in 64-bit mode, that will not work.