logging off idle users...

Post by Corey Wir » Thu, 04 Apr 1991 01:14:12

I seem to recall somewhere that under AIX3.1 on the RS/6000 that you
could set something up that users that were idle for more than a
specified time could be logged off.

Could someone point me in the right direction to do this?

Thanks!

"This, of course, is impossible..."  - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
        Corey Wirun, BSc - Systems Analyst,  Esso Petroleum Canada,
               Strathcona Refinery.  Edmonton, Alberta

logging off idle users...

Post by Ronald S Wo » Fri, 05 Apr 1991 00:22:23

>I seem to recall somewhere that under AIX3.1 on the RS/6000 that you
>could set something up that users that were idle for more than a
>specified time could be logged off.

>Could someone point me in the right direction to do this?

Perhaps the ksh TMOUT environment variable being specified in
/etc/profile?

+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

logging off idle users...

Post by Mark Whetz » Sun, 14 Apr 1991 01:38:01

> >I seem to recall somewhere that under AIX3.1 on the RS/6000 that you
> >could set something up that users that were idle for more than a
> >specified time could be logged off.

> >Could someone point me in the right direction to do this?

> Perhaps the ksh TMOUT environment variable being specified in
> /etc/profile?

Ah yes... and the INFO hypertext document finds this under:
"Parameter Substitution in the Bourne Shell" or
"Parameter Substitution in the Korn Shell"
(Nice descriptive header for envionment variables don't you think ? :-)
(BTW: Envionment variables for csh are documented in:
"Predefined and Environmental Variables in the C Shell (csh command)"
  consistant yes??? :-)

Note that the Bourne shell envionment variable is spelled
TIMEOUT=
and sets the value in minutes. When expire interval is reached the
shell simply exits.

The Korn shell envionment variable is spelled
TMOUT=
and specifies the value in SECONDS!  Not minutes as specified in the
hypertext doc.  See DOC APAR IX17357 for notes that indicate that the
expire limit is documented wrong and that you get a warning message
and 60 additional seconds to enter more commands before the shell exits.

Is this the same for other implementations of ksh?

Anybody know if the csh (on AIX) has such a beast?  Info searches do not
find anything.

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,

                                   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw

1. Logging Off Idle Users

I want to run some updates to an application on an SCO unix 3.2v4.2 box after
hours.  The problem is I can't do it if there are people logged in to ttys.

Is there any way to log off idle users after a given time (short of running
a reboot of the system).  Or is there any program that will do this if it
is not built into SCO?

thanks
--
  +---------------------------+      +------------------------------------+

  |    Unique Systems, Inc.   ||     |   4gen!unique!craig%uunet.uu.net   ||
  | 5610 Monroe St. Suite 210 ||     |------------------------------------||
  |     Sylvania, OH 43560    ||     | A system without COBOL or FORTRAN  ||
  |       (419) 882-1113      ||     | is like a piece of chocolate cake  ||
  |     FAX (419) 882-2911    ||     |    without ketchup and mustard     ||
  +---------------------------+|     +------------------------------------+|
   +---------------------------+      +------------------------------------+

2. dual P133 ->> suggestion

3. Program to log off idle users

4. ftp connection can't be built

5. HELP:logging off idle users

6. FreeBSD 3.0/Compaq SmartII Raid Controller

7. How to kill user processes and log users off??

8. Finding the exit status of a command run on the remote shell

9. Need daemon to kick idle users off Sun

10. How to kick off Idle users without reboot the system.

11. booting off idle users?

12. Q:logging out idle users

13. Log out idle users (Solaris).