duplicate IP

Post by BSD » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 19:38:25

Greetings,

running HACMP/ES 4.x with AIX 5L 5.1 (2Nodes)
I found that my Gateway was wrong in the setup,
I went with smitty to correct the gateway, after that restarted the HACMP
now the errpt shows the following message
FE2DEE00 0220110503 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET
FE2DEE00 0220110503 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET
FE2DEE00 0220110503 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET
FE2DEE00 0220110503 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET
FE2DEE00 0220110403 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET

in the HACMP FAQ, I found this
"........
DO NOT USE THE SMIT Change/Show Attributes of a xxxxxxx Network Adapter"
dialog to change alternate hardware addresses. If you change the
hardware address from this screen, it will be replaced with the address
you defined in the HA dialog once you start HA. As a consequence, the new
address will not "live" any longer than the next HA startup.

DO NOT USE THE SMIT Change/Show Attributes of a xxxxxxx Network Adapter"CMP
2.1 supports H/W address swapping for ethernet and TR networks.
to enable the alternate hardware address. This will result in duplicate
hardware addresses after IP address takeover, as described above.
........"

Any help, Why this happend?How to correct
I check in my LAN I dont have any duplicate IP's

BSD

duplicate IP

Post by Iai » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:51:50

> Greetings,

> running HACMP/ES 4.x with AIX 5L 5.1 (2Nodes)
> I found that my Gateway was wrong in the setup,
> I went with smitty to correct the gateway, after that restarted the HACMP
> now the errpt shows the following message
> FE2DEE00 0220110503 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET
> FE2DEE00 0220110503 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET
> FE2DEE00 0220110503 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET
> FE2DEE00 0220110503 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET
> FE2DEE00 0220110403 P S SYSXAIXIF DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET

> in the HACMP FAQ, I found this
> "........
> DO NOT USE THE SMIT Change/Show Attributes of a xxxxxxx Network Adapter"
> dialog to change alternate hardware addresses. If you change the
> hardware address from this screen, it will be replaced with the address
> you defined in the HA dialog once you start HA. As a consequence, the new
> address will not "live" any longer than the next HA startup.

> DO NOT USE THE SMIT Change/Show Attributes of a xxxxxxx Network Adapter"CMP
> 2.1 supports H/W address swapping for ethernet and TR networks.
> to enable the alternate hardware address. This will result in duplicate
> hardware addresses after IP address takeover, as described above.
> ........"

> Any help, Why this happend?How to correct
> I check in my LAN I dont have any duplicate IP's

> BSD

Can you post some more information.  It doesn't sound like you were
changing the hardware address, but the IP address, so I don't think
the bits from the manual you posted are directly relevant to this
problem.

Can you give a better idea of your setup : is the gateway one of the
HACMP servers?  If so, which IP address did you change?

What was wrong with the gateway and which command (or smit panel) did
you go to in order to fix it?

1. What's the best way to monitor (and log) duplicate ip address in a network?

I manage an internal firewall/gateway between development lab and
company network.

I am looking for way to log all duplication ip addresses occurrances
in the lab and give timely notification to engineers to fix the problem.

What's the best methods/tools to monitor this?

I am looking into ntop, ping -b, but they don't have exactly
what I wanted.

Thanks

-Tony

2. HARD problem with shared libraries (long)

3. "duplicate IP address detected" - but there isn't one!

4. bcopy()

5. I want duplicate IP addresses on a network

6. Where to buy Corel WordPerfect (Suite 7) for Solaris 2.5.1 x86 ?

7. detect duplicate IP

8. 2.4.19 eat my disc (contents)

9. Duplicate IP

10. duplicate ip#s

11. HELP! tracking duplicate IP addresses

12. AIX 5L V5.1 Duplicate IP Address

13. What could cause duplicate IP address?