Backup Solaris file system to AIX tape drive

Backup Solaris file system to AIX tape drive

Post by Fra » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:39:58

Q1: I have some SUN ultra box which do not have tape drive, and I try to
backup the system to remote tape drive on AIX4.3 box . I could use below
command to backup, but how could I restore ?

ufsdump 0cuf - / | rsh aix_box "dd bs=1024 of=/dev/rmt0"

Q2: I can't use " ufsdump 0cuf aix_box:/dev/rmt0 / " in this environment
like I did from Solaris to remote Solaris tape drive, why ?

Post by Michael Jooste » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:44:41

> > Q1: I have some SUN ultra box which do not have tape drive, and I try to
> > backup the system to remote tape drive on AIX4.3 box . I could use below
> > command to backup, but how could I restore ?

> > ufsdump 0cuf - / | rsh aix_box "dd bs=1024 of=/dev/rmt0"

> > Q2: I can't use " ufsdump 0cuf aix_box:/dev/rmt0 / " in this environment
> > like I did from Solaris to remote Solaris tape drive, why ?

> AIX doesn't have ufsdump.  One reason for this is that it
> doesn't have UFS at all.  Instead the default filesystem
> is jfs, which is journaled.

> As for restoring after sending ufsdump output to an AIX
> box, you'd have to dd the image off the tape and move
> it over to a Solaris box to use it.  You might want
> simply to stick with piping tar from Solaris to AIX
> though.  Your call.

The opposite of dump | rsh should work for restoring, too:

rsh aix_box "dd bs=1024 if=/dev/rmt0" | usfrestore ibf 2 -
for interactive restore.

But... If I would be you, I'd rather use bs=32k than just meager
1024bytes...

--

Fuerstenallee 11, 33094 Paderborn, Germany
Phone: +49 5251 606127, Fax: +49 5251 606065

Post by Michael Jooste » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:37:29

> The opposite of dump | rsh should work for restoring, too:

> rsh aix_box "dd bs=1024 if=/dev/rmt0" | usfrestore ibf 2 -
> for interactive restore.

> But... If I would be you, I'd rather use bs=32k than just meager
> 1024bytes...

Actually, after sleeping over it... It's even more simple:
Let ufsdump/ufsrestore use 'rmt' on the AIX, if available:

ufsdump 0cubf 64 aix_box:/dev/rmt0.?    and
ufsrestore [xri]bf 64 aix_box:/dev/rmt0.?

--

Post by Dale Talco » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:07:15

>> > Q2: I can't use " ufsdump 0cuf aix_box:/dev/rmt0 / " in this environment
>> > like I did from Solaris to remote Solaris tape drive, why ?

Because the "remote tape" protocol was poorly designed.  That is, when
you specify host:device as the file for ufsdump, you are asking it to
use rsh protocol to invoke /usr/sbin/rmt on the remote machine.
Then ufsdump and rmt transfer data using a simple protocol (man rmt).
Unfortunately, rmt protocol was designed in the early BSD days, when
essentially all Unix systems that implemented rsh were running BSD
Unix.  The designers of rmt took a shortcut--when they need to perform
a non-data operation on a tape (e.g., rewind, skip file, write tapemark,
etc.), they send the raw tape ioctl number to the remote host.  This worked
fine between two identical BSD systems.  However, as systems diverged from
BSD, the meanings of various ioctl numbers also diverged.

The result is that one vendor's dump programs might or might not work
with another vendor's rmt.  In particular, AIX and Solaris are not
compatible.

We had a kludge that we used.  We backed up Solaris hosts to tapes on AIX
boxes.  To make this work, we had a hacked version of rmt that mapped the
numbers provided by Solaris's ufsdump to the correct AIX ioctl.  The source
is available from <ftp://quest.cc.purdue.edu/pub/aeh/rmt.tar>.

Nowadays, we use Amanda (www.amanda.org).  One result is that hosts without
tape drives spool their dumps to disks on hosts with tapes.  We no longer
use rmt.

--
Dale Talcott, Purdue University Computing Center

1. Backup Solaris to AIX Tape drive

Q1: I have some SUN ultra box which do not have tape drive, and I try to
backup the system to remote tape drive on AIX4.3 box . I could use below
command to backup, but how could I restore ?

ufsdump 0cuf - / | rsh aix_box "dd bs=1024 of=/dev/rmt0"

Q2: I can't use " ufsdump 0cuf aix_box:/dev/rmt0 / " in this environment
like I did from Solaris to remote Solaris tape drive, why ?

2. creating a master image?

3. Is it possible to backup Unix file systems to a remote tape drive?

4. Problems with NFS across ISDN

5. Taper - Backup software for tape drives, floppies, files, ZIP drives...

6. VM_IO fixes

7. Linux System Backup: tape file system ?

8. RedHat Linux 5.0 boot problem.

9. TAPER 6.8.0a4 - Backup software for tape drives, floppies, ZIP drives, files

10. AIX mksysb and savevg Backup on IBM 3590 Tape Drive and Medium Changer

11. Backup through SCSI tape drive locks up the system

12. How to backup to a Seagate Tape drive on Solaris x86?

13. How do I TAR backup multi files to 8mm tape drive ??