Help for non-Unix/AIX person

Post by <r.. » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
To start with I do not know anything about AIX or Unix.  I need to create an
archive to tape of two directories so we can convert the contents(data
files) to a NT server.  Do I need to clear the tape and if so how, the tape
device is /dev/rmit1 ?  What is the command I should be using to do the tape
archive?  I think it is TAR but I am unsure about the arguments.  The
directory I am trying to archive is /home/cf2000 and /home/cf2000/photo.
Once I run the TAR command how do I list the contents of a tape device so I
can see what it contains?
Thanks in advance for the help

Ray

--
Ray Long
Management Data Systems, Inc.

www.mandatasys.com
Providing computer solutions for law enforcement and municipal government
since 1988

Help for non-Unix/AIX person

Post by Unix admi » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,
> To start with I do not know anything about AIX or Unix.  I need to create
an
> archive to tape of two directories so we can convert the contents(data
> files) to a NT server.  Do I need to clear the tape and if so how, the
tape
> device is /dev/rmit1 ?  What is the command I should be using to do the
tape
> archive?  I think it is TAR but I am unsure about the arguments.  The
> directory I am trying to archive is /home/cf2000 and /home/cf2000/photo.
> Once I run the TAR command how do I list the contents of a tape device so
> can see what it contains?
> Thanks in advance for the help

> Ray

not a real expert tet, but this is easy. Your tapedrive should be /dev/rmt0
or, if you have more than one, /dev/rmt1. You can use tar -cvf /dev/rmt0
/home/cf2000 /home/cf2000/photo > /home/root/tar.lst
The last command (> /home/root/tar.lst) gives you a readable file where
messages from tar will go to incase of errors. Read it  like this : cat
/home/root/tar.lst
To see the files on tape, use tar -tvf /dev/rmt0 (at least I think it
is -tvf). To put them back in their original place (restore) use tar -xvf
/dev/rmt0.
Hope it will help.
Good luck

Help for non-Unix/AIX person

Post by Lawr » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

If you type 'man tar' at the command line, it should show you all the
arguments... but the simplest case would be

tar cvf /dev/rmt1 <files>        to write the tape

In your instance, from /home you could type  "tar cvf /dev/rmt1 cf2000"
without the quotes which would secure the cf2000 directory and the
subdirectory.

tar tvf /dev/rmt1                    to verify the tape

> Hello,
> To start with I do not know anything about AIX or Unix.  I need to create
an
> archive to tape of two directories so we can convert the contents(data
> files) to a NT server.  Do I need to clear the tape and if so how, the
tape
> device is /dev/rmit1 ?  What is the command I should be using to do the
tape
> archive?  I think it is TAR but I am unsure about the arguments.  The
> directory I am trying to archive is /home/cf2000 and /home/cf2000/photo.
> Once I run the TAR command how do I list the contents of a tape device so
> can see what it contains?
> Thanks in advance for the help

> Ray

> --
> Ray Long
> Management Data Systems, Inc.

> www.mandatasys.com
> Providing computer solutions for law enforcement and municipal government
> since 1988

Help for non-Unix/AIX person

Post by <r.. » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the help guys.  I was able to get the tape created.

Ray

--

Help for non-Unix/AIX person

Post by John Barr » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi, Lawry.

Not quite.  The "cvf" means you're next going to specify the tarfile, either
like /home/me/tarfile.tar, or
a special-file like /dev/rmt0.  Then the roots of the trees to include.

Regards,
John

> If you type 'man tar' at the command line, it should show you all the
> arguments... but the simplest case would be

> tar cvf /dev/rmt1 <files>        to write the tape

> In your instance, from /home you could type  "tar cvf /dev/rmt1 cf2000"
> without the quotes which would secure the cf2000 directory and the
> subdirectory.

> tar tvf /dev/rmt1                    to verify the tape

> > Hello,
> > To start with I do not know anything about AIX or Unix.  I need to
create
> an
> > archive to tape of two directories so we can convert the contents(data
> > files) to a NT server.  Do I need to clear the tape and if so how, the
> tape
> > device is /dev/rmit1 ?  What is the command I should be using to do the
> tape
> > archive?  I think it is TAR but I am unsure about the arguments.  The
> > directory I am trying to archive is /home/cf2000 and /home/cf2000/photo.
> > Once I run the TAR command how do I list the contents of a tape device
so
> > can see what it contains?
> > Thanks in advance for the help

> > Ray

> > --
> > Ray Long
> > Management Data Systems, Inc.

> > www.mandatasys.com
> > Providing computer solutions for law enforcement and municipal
government
> > since 1988

1. Easy question from non-unix person

is there an easy way to have the equivalent of a pc-batch file in unix?
ive tried using vi and inputing commands like pwd, ls-l and those work
fine. But what i want to do is start a telnet session. I can do that
fine, but how do I pass commands (login name, password, etc.) to the
telnet session? If I place these commands on the line(s) below the line
that says telnet machine.com, they only invoke after the telnet session
is terminated.

Am I explaining this clearly?

any help would be appriciated...Email would be greatly appriciated.

thanx

Jer

Jerry Jantz     phone -  412.772.6600.5825

2. Is there phone answering software for Linux?

3. Simple Question from a Non-AIX person

4. Problem using rpm to install

5. Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

6. Font DPI & Screen Resolution

7. Need a Unix Systems Administrator and a Help Desk person

8. ISL Network Card for Sparc?

9. need aix person

10. Using BNU to communicate with a non-Unix system

11. secure web admin from non-unix?

12. System V manuals (was Re: What real non-UNIX 'C' compilers...)

13. WANTED: non-unix (mac & pc) calendar manager clients