Installing Software using a remote machine CDRom

Installing Software using a remote machine CDRom

Post by Antony Ma » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,
    I want to install some software that are on a CDRom. I have tried to
mount the CDRom as a NFS FS. But the software can't be installed because the
".toc" file can't create. Does anyone know how to install a software from a
remote machine?
thanks in advance
Antony

Installing Software using a remote machine CDRom

Post by Peter Bjoe » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:59:00 +0800 a carbon-based biped by the name of "Antony

>    I want to install some software that are on a CDRom. I have tried to
>mount the CDRom as a NFS FS. But the software can't be installed because the
>".toc" file can't create. Does anyone know how to install a software from a
>remote machine?

Yes, usually when you install from a cdrom which is directly attached
to the machine on which you are installing, you'll just use /dev/cd0
(or something similar) as the installing directory.
And everything will work fine, the install routines will locate the
.toc on the cd without any problems.

But if you are installing from a remote cdrom, you'll have to do
it in a slightly different way.
Let's say you have the CDROM NFS exported on the machine where
the drive is attached and that you then have the CDROM NFS mounted
on, say "/cdrom", on the machine where you want to do the install.
Now, if you just specify /cdrom as the installation directory,
somehow the installation routines cannot correctly locate the .toc
and will think it has to create and write a .toc on the /cdrom,
which it obviously cannot do.

What you have to do is to specify "/cdrom/usr/sys/inst.images" as
the installation directory and the .toc file, which is in this
directory, will then be found and used.

This of course, assumes that the CD is in the standard AIX installation
format, where the .toc and sw resides in /usr/sys/inst.images.
If your CD is different, you may want to try and specify the full path
to where the .toc actually is located.

Regards,

Peter

1. installing patch from cdrom on a remote machine

Hi, we have a sparc 10 running sunos 4.1.3. the 2nd cdrom that came with it
(suplemental) contained a patch for 4.1.3. The patch is installed using
/usr/etc/extract-patch  or something, I can't remember. Anyways, I was able
to install the patch to the machine directly connected to cdrom. However,
there is another sparc 10 that doesn't have a cdrom. I need to be able to
install it from a remote cdrom. The installation program doesn't have any
option on installing from remote (well actually it does have but only for
tapes). Anyways, what is the solution to installing this patch

thanks,
Bernie
--

                                | the speed limit be?

2. skipping tape errors with tar?

3. Mounting local mounted cdrom on remote machine

4. Please help--Dates in shell scripts

5. use a software in remote machine

6. Free doesn't report correct memory.

7. Have win2000 installed machine how do I install linux on same machine

8. Modeline Monitor settings for GATEWAY CrystalScan 500

9. tar backup of a remote machine using rsh onto local tape - how?

10. Using an NT or 95 CDRom from Solaris machine

11. Using SMB Printer on remote Linux machine

12. using a remote machine to connect to local X

13. Printing from the UNIX command line using a remote machine