AIX 4.1, DHCP and Windows

Post by NICHOLAS DRON » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I want install DHCP server on AIX 4.1, but I have
: one question: Does the Windows DHCP Clients recognize
: the AIX DHCP Server?

Yes.

: Does it need other software to Windows DHCP Clients
: recognize AIX DHCP Server?

No.

1. X Windows on AIX 4.1

Hi,

I'm not very familiar with AIX, and I am having a major problem with X
Windows.

I am running AIX 4.1.4.0 on an IBM RS/6000.

I was running mwm and this was working fine.  I installed CDE from the
AIX CD ROM and it worked for a few weeks.  Unfortunately, now when I try
to start X Windows, the screen flickers for a second or two, and then it
pauses, finally returning me to a command prompt.  I assume this means
that the X Server crashed. I receive the following message:

/usr/lpp/X11/defaults/xserverrc[90] 10128 Segmentation fault (coredump)
1356-800: Unable to start X Server

The really weird part is that I can telnet to the machine from my Linux
box at home.  I set the display and I can run all of the AIX X Windows
applications and display them on this remote host.

It seems to me, that the problem must be with CDE and not the X Server
on the AIX machine.  Has anyone run into this type of problem before?
Where do you think I should begin?  Is there a way to set the default
Window Manager back to mwm, without removing CDE?

Thanks for your help.

-Matt

P.S.  I installed the Y2K fixes from IBMs web site last week.  Could
this have something to do with it?

2. SCSI drive probs...

3. Windows 95-to-AIX 4.1 How-To?

4. OOPS, 2.4.20, preemption, ptrace, ext3 patches; (sis900?/ncpfs?)

5. AIX 3.2.5 vs AIX 4.1

6. Is there a french LINUX wizard?

7. AIX 3.2 vs AIX 4.1 Implementation of Berkeley sockets

8. Can you flush a pipe from the read end?

9. Can't run AIX 4.1 appliation n AIX 4.3.2

10. AIX 4.1 dependence on AIX 3.2 server

11. AIX 4.1 sendmail.cf to AIX 4.2 sendmail.cf

12. 4.1 4.1 4.1 HELP!

13. DHCP on Redhat 4.1 running Linux 2.0.34