Replacing the NIS master

Post by Andrew Padle » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I want to upgrade a NIS master from an old RS/6000 microchannel to a much
newer 43P-150.

How do I go about doing this without losing all the NIS information?

On Windows NT, I can promote a Slave to being a Master, then bring down the
master, replace it with a new machine configured as a slave, then promote
this back to Master again? Is there something similar with AIX?

Thanks

Andy

Replacing the NIS master

Post by Urban A. Haa » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Andrew,

What I would do is:
1. Make a mksysb before anything.
2. Upgrade the old machine to the latest level (plus maintenance).
3. Make another mksysb after testing everything works.
4. Restore the mksysb on the 43P-150.

Should have all NIS information retained.

--
Urban A. Haas
CEO - Urban Technology, Inc.

Web: http://www.urbantechnology.com

This e-mail was composed of 100% recycled bits.

Replacing the NIS master

Post by Christoph Nebe » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

restoring a system tape from a microchannel machine to a pci machine is
not a
good idea. The pci devices are probably not configured on the
microchannel
machine. Read man bosboot for more info.

The directory which contains the NIS information can be found easy.
Search for
DIR in /var/yp/Makefile. Then just copy the configuration files from DIR
to the
new server and configure NIS with wsm or smit. More information can be
found in
the System Management Guide: Communications and Networks.

Christoph Nebel

> What I would do is:
> 1. Make a mksysb before anything.
> 2. Upgrade the old machine to the latest level (plus maintenance).
> 3. Make another mksysb after testing everything works.
> 4. Restore the mksysb on the 43P-150.

> Should have all NIS information retained.

> > I want to upgrade a NIS master from an old RS/6000 microchannel to a much
> > newer 43P-150.

> > How do I go about doing this without losing all the NIS information?

1. Replacing an NIS+ master server

My department is in the process of replacing our current NIS+ root master
server, a Sparc 2, with a SparcCenter 2000.  We'd like to keep the domain name
the same, but the host name will be different.  Has anyone out there ever done
this? If so, what procedure did you follow?  None of the Sun documentation is
aimed at this type of situation.

I realize that the NIS_COLD_START files on all NIS+ clients will need
to be updated.  The one area I have the biggest concern about is transferring
the credential information.  Any suggestions that you can provide would
be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
  Jim Grybowski

2. Shell script debugger?

3. replaced nis client -> had to reboot nis master?

4. X hung

5. Replacing NIS+ root master server

6. New Slackware Soon?

7. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

8. extension 2 support >1024 cylinders ?

9. turning non-NIS to NIS master - how?

10. NIS + as a NIS master server?

11. Solaris 2.5.1 NIS client with a RedHat Enterprise ES release 3 NIS master..

12. Using linux NIS clients with Solaris 2 NIS masters.

13. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ compatibility mode running as replicate