obtaining AIX

Post by u n d e r a c h i e v e » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:51:17

I've inherited an RS6000 ... F50 i think ... i'd like to put
an up to date AIX on it. A friend of mine, who is an IBM reseller,
claims you can download a binary installation ISO image from
the IBM website. I can't find it ... and frankly i don't
believe it it's free! However i can't find anyhwere on the
web site to buy the installation media either.

How does one obtain AIX installation media for an out-of-
support machine?

I'm in the UK

Ta
--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r

obtaining AIX

Post by Paul Raulerso » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:07:04

Call IBM, Register the machine, and pay about $450USD to get a license upgrade and media kit. After that, updated Media kits are
$50USD.

Sounds simple, but be prepared to go through a quite exasperating conversation with IBM while they
come to the conclusion they will have to open at least a limited customer number for you. (*sigh*)

-Paul

Quote:> I've inherited an RS6000 ... F50 i think ... i'd like to put
> an up to date AIX on it. A friend of mine, who is an IBM reseller,
> claims you can download a binary installation ISO image from
> the IBM website. I can't find it ... and frankly i don't
> believe it it's free! However i can't find anyhwere on the
> web site to buy the installation media either.

> How does one obtain AIX installation media for an out-of-
> support machine?

> I'm in the UK

> Ta
> --