expect for AIX where can I find freeware.expect.rte

expect for AIX where can I find freeware.expect.rte

Post by s_n.. » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi everyone,
I am trying to write a script that will help changing password on AIX
whithout prompting. I was planning to use expect and I downloaded
expect. When I use smit to install it, it is asking
for 'freeware.expect.rte', which I can't find anywhere. I have two
questions
1) Is there any other way to change password without the passwd program
prompting ?
2) where to find freeware.expect.rte ?
Thanks
Nana

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Kent Squire » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>Hi everyone,
>I am trying to write a script that will help changing password on AIX
>whithout prompting. I was planning to use expect and I downloaded
>expect. When I use smit to install it, it is asking
>for 'freeware.expect.rte', which I can't find anywhere. I have two
>questions
>1) Is there any other way to change password without the passwd program
>prompting ?

yes.. some time ago there was some C code floating around called
setpwd.c I think.  This would allow (I think root only) to set a
users' password without prompting.  It may be able to be tweaked to
allow non-root users to reset their own pw's without prompting.

Quote:>2) where to find freeware.expect.rte ?

http://www.bull.de/pub/aix432_frame.html

download the .exe to, say, /tmp
execute it:  /tmp/whatever.exe
use smit to install the lpp that's extracted

Quote:>Thanks

Post by cruth.. » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:35:01

> Hi everyone,
> I am trying to write a script that will help changing password on AIX
> whithout prompting. I was planning to use expect and I downloaded
> expect. When I use smit to install it, it is asking
> for 'freeware.expect.rte', which I can't find anywhere. I have two
> questions
> 1) Is there any other way to change password without the passwd
program
> prompting ?
> 2) where to find freeware.expect.rte ?
> Thanks
> Nana

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

it comes with pssp ie /usr/lpp/ssp/expect/bin/expect
here is an example script:
#!/usr/lpp/ssp/expect/bin/expect --
set oldpw [lindex $argv 0]
set newpw [lindex $argv 1]
if { [llength $argv] <2 } {
send_user "
ERROR:Too few parameters"
exit
Quote:}

log_user 0
set timeout 5
spawn passwd
expect  "ld password:"
send "$oldpw\r"
expect  "ew password:"
send "$newpw\r"
expect  "password again:"
send "$npw\r"
expect timeout
send_user "Your new password will be updated in 5 minutes
"

Quote:> Before you buy.

Post by Kent Squire » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>> Hi everyone,
>> I am trying to write a script that will help changing password on AIX
>> whithout prompting. I was planning to use expect and I downloaded
>> expect. When I use smit to install it, it is asking
>> for 'freeware.expect.rte', which I can't find anywhere. I have two
>> questions
>> 1) Is there any other way to change password without the passwd
>program
>> prompting ?
>> 2) where to find freeware.expect.rte ?
>> Thanks
>> Nana

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

>it comes with pssp ie /usr/lpp/ssp/expect/bin/expect
>here is an example script:
>#!/usr/lpp/ssp/expect/bin/expect --
>set oldpw [lindex $argv 0]
>set newpw [lindex $argv 1]
>if { [llength $argv] <2 } {
>send_user "
>ERROR:Too few parameters"
>exit
>}
>log_user 0
>set timeout 5
>spawn passwd
>expect  "ld password:"
>send "$oldpw\r"
>expect  "ew password:"
>send "$newpw\r"
>expect  "password again:"
>send "$npw\r"
>expect timeout
>send_user "Your new password will be updated in 5 minutes
>"

of course to use /usr/lpp/ssp/expect/bin/expect, one would need to
have the PSSP software.

Post by aix71FORZAR.. » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi everyone,
> I am trying to write a script that will help changing password on AIX
> whithout prompting. I was planning to use expect and I downloaded
> expect. When I use smit to install it, it is asking
> for 'freeware.expect.rte', which I can't find anywhere. I have two
> questions
> 1) Is there any other way to change password without the passwd program
> prompting ?

Yes,
you can download "freeware.aix.tools.rte" from "www.bull.de/pub/" (please
note the tail '/') and use the chpass utility.

Quote:

> 2) where to find freeware.expect.rte ?

You can found it in the same site. I also tried to use this utilities but
it's very hard to implement, while using the chpass command directly is
faster and easier.

Ciao,
Gianni.

1. Expect: expect vs. interact

Hey Don or any other expect person:

For comparable uses, which is faster, expect or interact, or is there
any difference?

By comparable, I mean:
    expect {
        -re .+ {
            send_user -raw -- $expect_out(buffer)
            exp_continue
        }
        -i $user_spawn_id -re .+ {
            send -- $expect_out(buffer)
            exp_continue
        }
    }

vs.

    interact

or (I know, slightly different semantics)

    expect {
        "crap" { exit }

--

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~huyle

2. Fastest GUI Email Client

3. Expect/Tcl Problem - "scripts expect Tcl version..."

4. EISA Ethernet Cards Anyone?

5. expect and expecting it this way or this way...?

6. Boca SE34SRS PnP

7. How to compile EXPECT was WANTED expect for Linux

8. Setserial- won't configure my modem

9. expect-send pairs and sub expect-send pairs in chat

10. Expect: How to expect clear screen

11. freeware.gnu.gcc.rte where can i find it

12. Where to find freeware.egd.rte?

13. tcl/expect for aix ?