Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by Stim » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00



When I start a xwindows session to my J40
(aix 4.3.2 ) I get a login screen, when I enter my username and
password it says "starting common desktop environment" and
hangs.. does anybody know what the problem could be.

Thanx in advance,

Reb

-= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

 
 
 

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by Stim » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00


By the way, when I use Reflection all goes fine, but I cannot change
my screensize from 640x480 to 1204x768 pixels...

-= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

 
 
 

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by Flemming Josephse » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00


The files:

  /.dt/startlog
  /.dt/errorlog

usually sheds some light on situations like that..
Also, have you tried the'Failsafe' login ?
 (on the CDE login panel, chose: options| session| failsafe login)


> When I start a xwindows session to my J40
> (aix 4.3.2 ) I get a login screen, when I enter my username and
> password it says "starting common desktop environment" and
> hangs.. does anybody know what the problem could be.

> Thanx in advance,

> Reb

> -= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

 
 
 

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by Matthew Land » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00



> When I start a xwindows session to my J40
> (aix 4.3.2 ) I get a login screen, when I enter my username and
> password it says "starting common desktop environment" and
> hangs.. does anybody know what the problem could be.

> Thanx in advance,

> Reb

> -= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

CDE* at loging is usually due to a hostname/tcpip problem.  Make
sure that the `hostname` name and the `netstat -i` name MATCH.  

 - Matt

--
_______________________________________________________________________

    I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I must be perfect

   << Comments, views, and opinions are mine alone, not IBM's. >>

 
 
 

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by sanjay mishr » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00


The problem may be with X11 libraries as well.
Login from  falsify screen and start xinit.
If it works better check X11 libraries relating to CDE.

> When I start a xwindows session to my J40
> (aix 4.3.2 ) I get a login screen, when I enter my username and
> password it says "starting common desktop environment" and
> hangs.. does anybody know what the problem could be.

> Thanx in advance,

> Reb

> -= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

 
 
 

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by LAIX Software Consultin » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00


Check netstat -in and see if the loopback interface has a * next to lo0.  I've
seen this happen several times when the loopback interface isn't active.  It
can also be caused by name resolution delays.  For example, existence of
/etc/resolv.conf when you don't use DNS will cause the startup to hang for
several minutes while the machine attempts to resolve its own hostname.

Best regards,
Paul


> The problem may be with X11 libraries as well.
> Login from  falsify screen and start xinit.
> If it works better check X11 libraries relating to CDE.


> > When I start a xwindows session to my J40
> > (aix 4.3.2 ) I get a login screen, when I enter my username and
> > password it says "starting common desktop environment" and
> > hangs.. does anybody know what the problem could be.

> > Thanx in advance,

> > Reb

> > -= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

 
 
 

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by Stim » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00


On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:12:26 GMT, LAIX Software Consulting


>Check netstat -in and see if the loopback interface has a * next to lo0.  I've
>seen this happen several times when the loopback interface isn't active.  It
>can also be caused by name resolution delays.  For example, existence of
>/etc/resolv.conf when you don't use DNS will cause the startup to hang for
>several minutes while the machine attempts to resolve its own hostname.

this is the output I get using netstat -in is it correct?

lo0   16896 link#1                           13602     0    13634
0     0
lo0   16896 127         127.0.0.1            13602     0    13634
0     0
lo0   16896 ::1                              13602     0    13634
0     0
en0   1500  link#2      2.60.8c.f5.2c.1a   5508539     0   742417
0     0
en0   1500  128.222     128.222.107.17     5508539     0   742417
0     0

Or what could I do to correct a problem?

Thanx again,

Reb

-= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

 
 
 

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by LAIX Software Consultin » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00


That's correct - no "*" next to lo0.  The problem could be name resolution.

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:12:26 GMT, LAIX Software Consulting

> >Check netstat -in and see if the loopback interface has a * next to lo0.  I've
> >seen this happen several times when the loopback interface isn't active.  It
> >can also be caused by name resolution delays.  For example, existence of
> >/etc/resolv.conf when you don't use DNS will cause the startup to hang for
> >several minutes while the machine attempts to resolve its own hostname.

> this is the output I get using netstat -in is it correct?

> lo0   16896 link#1                           13602     0    13634
> 0     0
> lo0   16896 127         127.0.0.1            13602     0    13634
> 0     0
> lo0   16896 ::1                              13602     0    13634
> 0     0
> en0   1500  link#2      2.60.8c.f5.2c.1a   5508539     0   742417
> 0     0
> en0   1500  128.222     128.222.107.17     5508539     0   742417
> 0     0

> Or what could I do to correct a problem?

> Thanx again,

> Reb

> -= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

 
 
 

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by boyong.. » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00


check out /etc/hosts

it is very possible you have different IP address setup for the same
hostname...problems such as this occur when IPadresses are reconfigured
via smit...you get 2 different IP for the same host...



Quote:> When I start a xwindows session to my J40
> (aix 4.3.2 ) I get a login screen, when I enter my username and
> password it says "starting common desktop environment" and
> hangs.. does anybody know what the problem could be.

> Thanx in advance,

> Reb

> -= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder
=-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

Exceed hangs at "starting common desktop environment"

Post by Matthew Land » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00



> That's correct - no "*" next to lo0.  The problem could be name resolution.


> > On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:12:26 GMT, LAIX Software Consulting

> > >Check netstat -in and see if the loopback interface has a * next to lo0.  I've
> > >seen this happen several times when the loopback interface isn't active.  It
> > >can also be caused by name resolution delays.  For example, existence of
> > >/etc/resolv.conf when you don't use DNS will cause the startup to hang for
> > >several minutes while the machine attempts to resolve its own hostname.

> > this is the output I get using netstat -in is it correct?

> > lo0   16896 link#1                           13602     0    13634
> > 0     0
> > lo0   16896 127         127.0.0.1            13602     0    13634
> > 0     0
> > lo0   16896 ::1                              13602     0    13634
> > 0     0
> > en0   1500  link#2      2.60.8c.f5.2c.1a   5508539     0   742417
> > 0     0
> > en0   1500  128.222     128.222.107.17     5508539     0   742417
> > 0     0

> > Or what could I do to correct a problem?

> > Thanx again,

> > Reb

> > -= Wie met beide benen op de grond blijft staan, komt geen stap verder =-

Stated once above, but hey it never hurts to state it again.  Check
to make sure your `hostname` output and your `netstat -i` output show
the same HOSTNAME.  If this is mismatched, it can cause this problem.

 - Matt

--
_______________________________________________________________________

    I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I must be perfect

   << Comments, views, and opinions are mine alone, not IBM's. >>