Backup Solution for 4.2.1 and 4.3.x (Backup Express vs. Storix)

Backup Solution for 4.2.1 and 4.3.x (Backup Express vs. Storix)

Post by Dave More » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:40:52

Hello All,

   We're a development shop running 4.2.1, 4.3.2, and 4.3.3 servers.
I've been running Backup Express with a 3590 drive (10 tape changer)
for a while now, and am very happy with the product.

   The problem is that I need a more elegant mksysb/OS type of backup.
Currently it amounts to running around with an external 8mm SCSI tape
drive, as time and events dictate.

   I've been looking at Storix, but it's  more money, and I can't tell
from the website if it supports the 3590 drive with the 10 tape
changer.

   I don't necessarily need the pretty GUI of Storix, but a
networked/centralized method of mksysb's  (preferably to the 3590
tapes) would be perfect for my needs..

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences in this arena?  Thanks,
Dave Moreno

Backup Solution for 4.2.1 and 4.3.x (Backup Express vs. Storix)

Post by Roge » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:49:26

We use Storix with the 3590. Be sure to set the library to sequential mode and
turn off the "autoloader" feature in the Atape driver, to allow Storix to handle the
tape changes instead of the library. Also use a buffer size of 256K in
the backups to get much better performance. If you want each client backup
to be bootable, just make sure to have the tape eject after each backup to
start the next backup on a new tape.

> Hello All,

>    We're a development shop running 4.2.1, 4.3.2, and 4.3.3 servers.
> I've been running Backup Express with a 3590 drive (10 tape changer)
> for a while now, and am very happy with the product.

>    The problem is that I need a more elegant mksysb/OS type of backup.
> Currently it amounts to running around with an external 8mm SCSI tape
> drive, as time and events dictate.

>    I've been looking at Storix, but it's  more money, and I can't tell
> from the website if it supports the 3590 drive with the 10 tape
> changer.

>    I don't necessarily need the pretty GUI of Storix, but a
> networked/centralized method of mksysb's  (preferably to the 3590
> tapes) would be perfect for my needs..

> Anyone have any thoughts or experiences in this arena?  Thanks,
> Dave Moreno

1. "live" filesystems backup on AIX using backup/mksysb/sysback/storix

I have been digging into the various backup programs for a site with
many AIX servers and a few SPs as well.

None of the documentation I have looked at difnitely says that it can
safely backup "live" (unmounted and unqueisced) file systems. Does
somebody know which of the various backup solutions can accomplish
backing up "live" file systems safely.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. $$MAKE MONEY NOW$$

3. Veritas Netbackup vs Syncsort's Backup Express

4. yp/nis broken when ip off server changed....

5. Solstice Backup 4.2.6: Archiving vs. backup.

6. HELP with script files!

7. Tivoli / TSM web backup client on AIX 4.3

8. HowTo Setup DNS Client on SCO server 5.0.4

9. Storix System Backups

10. BETA: Storix Backup Administrator Version 2.0

11. Storix Backup Administrator for AIX New Features!

12. Incremental backups in AIX 4.3

13. Magstar 3570 and Storix Backup Administrator