AIX api to get data from AS/400 via 5250 Terminals

AIX api to get data from AS/400 via 5250 Terminals

Post by Mark Watkin » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a manufacturing system that is controlled on an RS/6000 running AIX
v3.2.5.  This machine tracks process and product quality data in to a
Oracle Database.  We also use JDEdwards on an AS/400 to do tracking of work
orders and plant capacity, yield etc.

What I would like to be able to do, is have the RS/6000 track finished
products lot numbers to give a correlation between the process and quality
data and final production.  The RS/6000 needs to get the lot numbers from
the AS/400 and JDE.

I would like to program the RS/6000 to do this in either perl or C/C++ and
NOT do any coding in AS/400 or JDE.  If there are api's available to either
simulate an 5250 terminal session to build a query and get the result, that
is on idea.  Or if there is a way to do a interactive ftp session or a
query?

Any suggestions or help is desperately accepted.  The key is it has to
happen automatically through software, no input from a person should be
needed and NO AS/400 or JDE programming!

Thanks in advance.

Mark Watkins
Lexmark International, Inc.

AIX api to get data from AS/400 via 5250 Terminals

Post by Tim » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

You need DB2 Connect for AIX that will allow you to connect AS/400 DB2
databases

> I have a manufacturing system that is controlled on an RS/6000 running AIX
> v3.2.5.  This machine tracks process and product quality data in to a
> Oracle Database.  We also use JDEdwards on an AS/400 to do tracking of
work
> orders and plant capacity, yield etc.

> What I would like to be able to do, is have the RS/6000 track finished
> products lot numbers to give a correlation between the process and quality
> data and final production.  The RS/6000 needs to get the lot numbers from
> the AS/400 and JDE.

> I would like to program the RS/6000 to do this in either perl or C/C++ and
> NOT do any coding in AS/400 or JDE.  If there are api's available to
either
> simulate an 5250 terminal session to build a query and get the result,
that
> is on idea.  Or if there is a way to do a interactive ftp session or a
> query?

> Any suggestions or help is desperately accepted.  The key is it has to
> happen automatically through software, no input from a person should be
> needed and NO AS/400 or JDE programming!

> Thanks in advance.

> Mark Watkins
> Lexmark International, Inc.

AIX api to get data from AS/400 via 5250 Terminals

Post by Kent Milliga » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

DRDA would allow you to code SQL requests on the RS/6000 and have them
executed against AS/400 databases.  You'd need to have DB2 Connect on
your RS/6000 - the DRDA components for the AS/400 side are shipped free
with every AS/400.

--
Kent Milligan, DB2 & Business Intelligence team
AS/400 Partners In Development

(opinions stated are not necessarily those of my employer)

AIX api to get data from AS/400 via 5250 Terminals

Post by Patrick Townsen » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I believe StarQuest has a version of Client Access for UNIX including
the APIs. You can use these to do data retrieval from the AS/400 using
C/C++ programs. You can find them at: http://www.StarQuest.com

Patrick
--
IBM AS/400 communications, FTP automation, and network security
software and consulting services.

http://www.patownsend.com

> I have a manufacturing system that is controlled on an RS/6000 running AIX
> v3.2.5.  This machine tracks process and product quality data in to a
> Oracle Database.  We also use JDEdwards on an AS/400 to do tracking of work
> orders and plant capacity, yield etc.

> What I would like to be able to do, is have the RS/6000 track finished
> products lot numbers to give a correlation between the process and quality
> data and final production.  The RS/6000 needs to get the lot numbers from
> the AS/400 and JDE.

> I would like to program the RS/6000 to do this in either perl or C/C++ and
> NOT do any coding in AS/400 or JDE.  If there are api's available to either
> simulate an 5250 terminal session to build a query and get the result, that
> is on idea.  Or if there is a way to do a interactive ftp session or a
> query?

> Any suggestions or help is desperately accepted.  The key is it has to
> happen automatically through software, no input from a person should be
> needed and NO AS/400 or JDE programming!

> Thanks in advance.

> Mark Watkins
> Lexmark International, Inc.

AIX api to get data from AS/400 via 5250 Terminals

Post by Thomas Horschman » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I think your solution using perl to create a ftp script which executes a
query on the AS/400 and get the result from a file is a good way to do this.

What you have to do is create the Query, if parameters are required use
STRQMQ in a CL Programm put the result into a Database.

Using ftp you can run the query using the 'quote rcmd' capabiltiy of the
AS/400 FTP Server.

Thomas

1. 5250 Terminal Emulation (for IBM AS/400) - Newbie question

Hi.

First of all, sorry for the crosspost, but at this moment I don't know
exactly where to post this question.

I am starting with linux (actualy redhat) at home.

All is going fine and I recomend it (even an installation with some
errors
is more stable than windows).

What I would like to know is about the existence of an IBM 5250 terminal
emulator.

Can I find one on the net ?

At work I need to use an IBM terminal emulator that runs under Win95 and
WinNT but I would be very pleased to use linux at work and still being
connected to the AS/400 so I need the emulator.
By the way, I use TCP/IP to communicate with the AS/400.

It would be nice if someone could point me the right way.

Thanks to all

Jose Roque

2. html print filters

3. 5250 AS/400 Emulator ??

4. Sound: HP Pavilion 8380 (Creative/Ensoniq)

5. 5250 -> AS/400 -> SCO Open Server 5 connectivity

6. Automating Dial-up with IP-masquerading

7. UNIX to AS/400 , telnet , tn3270, 5250 ?

8. HPLJ2 postscript with Solaris 2.3

9. Can I connect an IBM 5250 terminal to an RS/6000 running AIX?

10. Java API for AIX, like on AS/400?

11. mail to X.400 address via UUCP->SMTP->X.400

12. 5250 Terminal Emulation for Solaris 2.6

13. Need help: 5250 terminal in UNIX