Time synchronization on AIX servers with an OS/390 mainframe

Time synchronization on AIX servers with an OS/390 mainframe

Post by Ma » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 06:18:46

Hi,

Maybe it is a old question, howerver, I do need the solution.
We need to synchronize AIX servers with an OS/390 mainframe. NTP is a
good way to go but the mainframe doesn't support NTP, it just supports
TIMED. We decided to use a AIX server to get time from mainframe using
TIMED and then send time out using NTP ( Or start NTP to wait for
pulling from the others). When the mainframe guy started the TIMED as
master on mainframe, I still couldn't get time from it!?

Any help would be appreciated.

Max

Post by Michael Jooste » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:19:09

> Hi,

> Maybe it is a old question, howerver, I do need the solution.
> We need to synchronize AIX servers with an OS/390 mainframe. NTP is a
> good way to go but the mainframe doesn't support NTP, it just supports
> TIMED. We decided to use a AIX server to get time from mainframe using
> TIMED and then send time out using NTP ( Or start NTP to wait for
> pulling from the others). When the mainframe guy started the TIMED as
> master on mainframe, I still couldn't get time from it!?

What does a 'timedc clockdiff <mainframe>' says?
timedc is a sort of mgmt tool for timed daemons.

The timed protocol is a mix of ICMP timestamp messages with a
coordination protocol on an IP UDP port. Chances are that these ICMP
packets are just blocked in a router between the AIX and the OS/390
iron.

E.g.:

Quote:> timedc clockdiff dad

dad transmitts a non-standard time format
# dad is a win200 pc, so no wonder...
Quote:> timedc clockdiff emma

time on emma is 2 ms. ahead of time on tintin.c-lab.de
# and emma is running Solaris 7

It might also be that ICMP timestamp replies need to be enabled
explicitly in AIX or OS/390 !

--

Fuerstenallee 11, 33094 Paderborn, Germany
Phone: +49 5251 606127, Fax: +49 5251 606065

1. Time sysnchronisation on AIX with an OS/390 mainframe

We want to synchronize with the timed deamon our AIX-servers(version 4.3.3)
with the OS/390-mainframe.

On the mainframe is the timed started.

When I start the timed deamon with the log option on the AIX server I become
in the log of the timed deamon several messages:

    readmsg: version mismatch

The timed deamon doesn't  working.

How can we setup the synchronisation between a AIX-server and a mainframe?

In avanced thanks for any answer.

N. Bartels

2. task_struct + kernel stack colouring ...

3. how to syncronize Aix time from OS/390 timed server?

4. BJ-200e and/or HP DeskJet 520 Support?

5. FTP from AIX to OS/390 question

6. Swap Space

7. AIX SP2 Connection to MVS OS/390-Host

8. Desparate to make my CD work

9. CICS: choose AIX, OS/390, or NT

10. SIGMICRO TO PROVIDE FREE ACCESS TO AN S/390 MAINFRAME AND AN IA-64 FOR RESEARCHERS

11. IBM has Linux/390 for the mainframe

12. IBM announces 64-bit mainframes and 64-bit Linux for S/390

13. Time synchronization : IBM Mainframe - UNIX