restoring files from savevg

Post by iant1.. » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi does anybody know if it's possible to restore files individually from a
tape created using 'savevg'. The command is 'savevg -m -v -f /dev/rmt1
datavg' I need to restore some files from the tape and don't want to restore
the whole archive. If I use the 'restore -Tqf /dev/rmt1' command, the files
are there and the process informs me that the files were backed up by name.
However using 'restore -xvqdf/dev/rmt1 /files' I am told that no files were
restored. Help!

TIA

Ian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

restoring files from savevg

Post by Anthony Johnso » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You must use the relative pathname - just add a "." before the "/" of each
filenem to restore.

> Hi does anybody know if it's possible to restore files individually from a
> tape created using 'savevg'. The command is 'savevg -m -v -f /dev/rmt1
> datavg' I need to restore some files from the tape and don't want to restore
> the whole archive. If I use the 'restore -Tqf /dev/rmt1' command, the files
> are there and the process informs me that the files were backed up by name.
> However using 'restore -xvqdf/dev/rmt1 /files' I am told that no files were
> restored. Help!

> TIA

> Ian

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. restoring a single file in a savevg??

I have a problem -- I am running AIX v4.3.2 and have been performing
savevg commands nightly.  Specifically, I have been issuing this command
from a root crontab entry:

0 3 * * * /usr/bin/savevg  -f'/dev/rmt0' '-v' '-i' '-X' dominovg1

I want to restore a single file from one of the tape backups created
with this command, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.  I have tried
typing in the exact path, just the filename, and made sure
capitalization is correct.  As far as I know there are no problems with
the tape and I am not getting any specific error messages other than
"Tape restore failed" after waiting 45 minutes for the entire tape to be
read in.  It is like it isn't finding my files.

If you have any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Surely it is not
necessary for me to restore the entire volume group just to get back one
file!??!

Thank you,

Justin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Wireless internet access through LAN

3. restoring files and directories from 'savevg' archive

4. VSM Print Manager

5. How to restore a volumegroup backuped with savevg when the disk went down...

6. UTP vs coax

7. tape block size, savevg & restore

8. HP Jetdirect EX Plus 3

9. df display wrong value after restoring a savevg tape

10. Restoring volume Group device files w/out restoring actual volume groups

11. using 'restore' to restore one file

12. Restoring AIX Volume group device files w/out restoring VG's?

13. Restore (file by file) and many named files