Install AIX 4.2 on new RS6000 B50

Post by stefan antelma » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:36:18

HI Guys,

Maybe someone of you could help me.

I have troubble with the machine above.

I want to install AIX 4.2 on it , currently it is running 4.3.

I have tested much.

Boot device is:
1 CDROM
2.HDD

IN CDROM is AIX 4.2 CD

RS6000 has no Grafic Adapter.

--

Wenn i connect to Com2 of RS6000

I have a choice where i can press 1 and have then a small Assistant
where i can change Boot Order, Install Device......
When i leave it,
STDIN/STDOUT is closing

Have then no longer a connection.

--
Wenn i connect to COM1 of RS6000 nothing happen, RS6000 is normaly
Booting to the installed 4.3.3 Version.

Have anybody an Idea how i can install the 4.2 Version?

Thanks in advance

Install AIX 4.2 on new RS6000 B50

Post by mark tayl » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:12:53

here are the software requirements for the B50 (cut and paste from the
sales manual)

Software Requirements

One of the following operating systems:

    * AIX Version 4.3.2 (via PRPQ)
    * AIX Version 4.3.3
    * AIX Version 5.1 or later
* Linux 2.2 kernel

Terra Soft Solutions' distribution of Yellow Dog Linux is available
for the Model B50 by accessing their Web site:

* http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

Rgds
Mark

Install AIX 4.2 on new RS6000 B50

Post by mark tayl » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:13:59

Why do you want to put 4.2 on it? its well an truly out of support
now. only 433, 510 and 520 are supported...

Mark

Install AIX 4.2 on new RS6000 B50

Post by Jay Kruemck » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:52:50

The B50 was not supported by AIX 4.2. The B50 is supported on
AIX 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 5.1 and 5.2.
        Jay

Quote:> HI Guys,

Post by Florian Hei » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 05:01:40

> HI Guys,

> Maybe someone of you could help me.

> I have troubble with the machine above.

> I want to install AIX 4.2 on it , currently it is running 4.3.

This might be worth a try, too:
When that menu comes up, try pressing esc-1 or 1 or 5, one of those
should get You a mainteanance menu where You can set Your console to
be the tty, afterwards the stdin/out should stay available.

Florian

Post by snogfest hosebea » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:22:27

> HI Guys,

> Maybe someone of you could help me.

> I have troubble with the machine above.

> I want to install AIX 4.2 on it , currently it is running 4.3.

> I have tested much.

> Boot device is:
> 1 CDROM
> 2.HDD

> IN CDROM is AIX 4.2 CD

> RS6000 has no Grafic Adapter.

> --

> Wenn i connect to Com2 of RS6000

> I have a choice where i can press 1 and have then a small Assistant
> where i can change Boot Order, Install Device......
> When i leave it,
> STDIN/STDOUT is closing

> Have then no longer a connection.

> --
> Wenn i connect to COM1 of RS6000 nothing happen, RS6000 is normaly
> Booting to the installed 4.3.3 Version.

> Have anybody an Idea how i can install the 4.2 Version?

> Thanks in advance

I had a similar problem with a 43P 260 (though, probably not the same
problem).

If AIX 4.3 is preinstalled, when you install 4.2 over it the NVRAM
gets corrupted.
I had to get an engineer to take out the NVRAM battery backup (a large
hearing-aid type), then I was able to install 4.2

I seriously wouldn't bother with all this; is someone has bought a
brand new box for an application that needs to run AIX 4.2, they need
their arse kicking.

1. VGA adapter as console on rs6000/B50 with aix 4.3 possible?

hi,

i have purchased an ibm rs6000-b50 and built an old pci vga-card (elsa
winner 1000)
in it.
i can assign the console to the vga monitor and the sms works. the
install of aix4.3 from the cd is only possible with an attached
terminal, i think because of aix not having drivers for my vga-card.
so far, so good.
now i have finished install and my system boots on the terminal.

is there any possibility to get the system boot on my elsa winner
vga-card
in order to disable the terminal?
are there any drivers, perhaps i can use drivers for another card
which eventually works with mine?
or is there support for any cheap usual pci vga-card which i can use
with my aix?

any workarounds or experiences would be great.

regards, wolf.

2. XFree86 config for Number Nine Revolution 3D??????????

3. Console message ? AIX 4.2 RS6000

4. blocking email domains

5. Will a RS6000/370 run AIX 4.2.x?

6. still ssh problem

7. No Root Password - AIX 4.2 Rs6000 J40

8. routing everything to internal host

9. No Root Password - AIX 4.2 - RS6000 J40

10. AIX v5.1 install on B50

11. Installing AIX 4.3.3 on B50

12. Legato client and AIX 4.2 install woes -

13. Installing Fortran Complier on AIX 4.2