Sendmail: Rejecting connections on port 25

Sendmail: Rejecting connections on port 25

Post by Ravindra » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

"ps -ef|grep sendmail" gives
sendmail : rejecting connections on port 25 : load average 18

Does anyone know why this happens?  It was working all along.
I tried to restart it by subsystem and by process.  Same again.

Thanks
Ravi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Ken Be » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

>"ps -ef|grep sendmail" gives
>sendmail : rejecting connections on port 25 : load average 18

>Does anyone know why this happens?  It was working all along.
>I tried to restart it by subsystem and by process.  Same again.

Your machine's load average is likely higher than the maximum set
for sendmail in the /etc/sendmail.cf file:

     # load average at which we just queue messages
     #O QueueLA=8

     # load average at which we refuse connections
     #O RefuseLA=12

Just uncomment the ones you want to change, make the change you
think is acceptable, and refresh or restart sendmail.

(I'm assuming you're using one of the newer sendmails where the
options like these are mnemonic, the older versions used Ox and
OX respectively, instead.)

--

Post by David Wei » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

> "ps -ef|grep sendmail" gives
> sendmail : rejecting connections on port 25 : load average 18

> Does anyone know why this happens?  It was working all along.
> I tried to restart it by subsystem and by process.  Same again.

If your load average is 18, you have other troubles. See what else is
sucking up all your cpu time.

dave

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322

                          | http://www.veryComputer.com/
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal *.
When they took the Fifth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment and I can't say anything.

Post by AlHo » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

> >"ps -ef|grep sendmail" gives
> >sendmail : rejecting connections on port 25 : load average 18

> >Does anyone know why this happens?  It was working all along.
> >I tried to restart it by subsystem and by process.  Same again.

> Your machine's load average is likely higher than the maximum set
> for sendmail in the /etc/sendmail.cf file:

>      # load average at which we just queue messages
>      #O QueueLA=8

>      # load average at which we refuse connections
>      #O RefuseLA=12

> Just uncomment the ones you want to change, make the change you
> think is acceptable, and refresh or restart sendmail.

> (I'm assuming you're using one of the newer sendmails where the
> options like these are mnemonic, the older versions used Ox and
> OX respectively, instead.)

> --

It's right, sendmail refuse connection if load average is grather then
maximum, but there is a bug - it doesn't continue to work if the load
average goes down. Look for IX84776 APAR to patch sendmail.

good luck

============================
Ales Horak
AIX System Administrator
Ahold Czech Republic

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. sendmail: rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file system queue: 100

Hi there,

Error : rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file system
queue: 100

I noticed that my /var directroy was full. Is this the only reason why this
error occurs. We are sending a lot of E-mails with attachments (using mutt
client, commandline) and receive this error a lot lately. It seems to take a
long time (1-5 minutes) to send an E-mail with attachment of 2.5 MB. Is this
normal ? What could be the bottleneck ?

After sending I see this process:

    bplus 48994     1   0 07:29:13      -  0:00 sendmail: HAA48880
mx3.xs4all.nl.: client DATA status

We are running AIX 4.3.2 on a RS 6000.

Hope you can help me out.

Regards,

Louis Banens

2. how to print man pages

3. Rejecting Connections on Port 25

4. win98 & Linux

5. sendmail not accepting connections on port 25?

6. Simple Question

7. sendmail on Red Hat 8 Linux -- connection refused on port 25 -- solution

8. RamDoubler for Linux?

9. sendmail problem (?) : telnet localhost 25 --> connection refused

10. Sendmail service port 25 can't be connected

11. Sendmail & port 25 help !!!

12. Sendmail on a listening on a Port other than 25

13. Sendmail: accepting connect on port 25