Connecting PCI Dual Channel Ultra3 SCSI Adapter to non IBM RAID - Performance Problem!

Connecting PCI Dual Channel Ultra3 SCSI Adapter to non IBM RAID - Performance Problem!

Post by Andreas Rektenwal » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 00:24:09

Hi!

I'm connecting a Infortrend SCSI Raid (supporting LVD, Ultra SCSI3, etc
and performing well under Linux) to a F50 with an Dual Channel Ultra3
SCSI Adapter (which should archive up to 160 MB/sec).

Reading 100MB of the same 64k block from the raid (it has 256 MB of
cache) showes me the SCSI Performance of the bus.

It takes about 4 seconds reading from /dev/rhdiskX, which is 25MB/sec.

Looking at the raid it tells me, that AIX is talking async narrow to the
raid!

Does anybody have experiance connecting a non IBM RAID on Ultra SCSI3 to
an AIX machine?

I would expect transfer rates at least of 60 MB reading from cache.

Perhaps there is a need for ODM config changes to tell AIX that osdisk
is a LVD disk?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

  a.rektenwald.vcf
< 1K Download

Connecting PCI Dual Channel Ultra3 SCSI Adapter to non IBM RAID - Performance Problem!

Post by Urban A. Haa » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:49:30

I was under the impression that that was negotiated by the HW for bus speed.
Does the non-IBM RAID need to be configured differently?

Urban

> Hi!

> I'm connecting a Infortrend SCSI Raid (supporting LVD, Ultra SCSI3, etc
> and performing well under Linux) to a F50 with an Dual Channel Ultra3
> SCSI Adapter (which should archive up to 160 MB/sec).

> Reading 100MB of the same 64k block from the raid (it has 256 MB of
> cache) showes me the SCSI Performance of the bus.

> It takes about 4 seconds reading from /dev/rhdiskX, which is 25MB/sec.

> Looking at the raid it tells me, that AIX is talking async narrow to the
> raid!

> Does anybody have experiance connecting a non IBM RAID on Ultra SCSI3 to
> an AIX machine?

> I would expect transfer rates at least of 60 MB reading from cache.

> Perhaps there is a need for ODM config changes to tell AIX that osdisk
> is a LVD disk?

> Thanks in advance,

> Andreas

1. PCI Dual Ultra3 SCSI Host Adapter and SunFire 4800

Hello!

  Has anybody tried to insert a PCI Dual Ultra3 SCSI Host Adapter
375-3057 (X6758A) into SunFire 4800. Sun affirms that it is supported
only in workgroup servers like 880 or 280 but I don't see any reason for
this card not to work in a PCI assembly of 4800. There was a mention
that it would be supported by June 2002 and I'd like to know if anybody
has an experience of installing such a card into 4800/4810/6800 ?

2. news problem

3. connectivity of PCI dual ultra3 scsi host adapter

4. Expect for SCO Unix

5. Storedge PCI Dual Ultra3 SCSI adapter

6. Questions about regular expressions

7. PCI-X, SCSI, RAID, Ultra320, Dual Channel

8. login classes and FreeBSD 3.2

9. IBM FC 6227 GigaBit Fibre Channel PCI adapter

10. FS: Adaptec 3940UW Dual Channel SCSI adapter

11. dual channel 2 SCSI adapter

12. Advance Systems Dual Channel SCSI/IDE ISA/EISA/PCI/VLB cards

13. Dual-Channel Ultra SCSI (PCI) for Linux?