m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

Post by ha.. » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:06:44



I have a new M80 which with a 'shutdown -Fr' stops at the open boot
prompt. Typing 'boot' will bring the system up ok, but reboot or
shutdown -Fr always stops.
I can't find anything obvious in sms menus etc.
Any ideas/clues ?
 
 
 

m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

Post by Jose Pina Coelh » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:45:57



> I have a new M80 which with a 'shutdown -Fr' stops at the open boot
> prompt. Typing 'boot' will bring the system up ok, but reboot or
> shutdown -Fr always stops.
> I can't find anything obvious in sms menus etc.
> Any ideas/clues ?

shutdown the system

Press enter a couple of times on a terminal connected to the S1 or S2
port
that will wake the service processor.

One of the menus tells if it allows you to access the SMS menus during
startup.  One of the others says: "Boot to open prom boot prompt" (or
something like that)
turn it off.

Go to the power menu, power on.
Boot AIX, login as root, "shutdown -r now" to check if the problem was
solved.

(That option wasn't supposed to be on by default)

 
 
 

m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

Post by ha.. » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 06:23:39


On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 05:45:57 +0000, Jose Pina Coelho



>> I have a new M80 which with a 'shutdown -Fr' stops at the open boot
>> prompt. Typing 'boot' will bring the system up ok, but reboot or
>> shutdown -Fr always stops.
>> I can't find anything obvious in sms menus etc.
>> Any ideas/clues ?

>shutdown the system

>Press enter a couple of times on a terminal connected to the S1 or S2
>port
>that will wake the service processor.

>One of the menus tells if it allows you to access the SMS menus during
>startup.  One of the others says: "Boot to open prom boot prompt" (or
>something like that)
>turn it off.

>Go to the power menu, power on.
>Boot AIX, login as root, "shutdown -r now" to check if the problem was
>solved.

>(That option wasn't supposed to be on by default)

thanks for info
there are 4 options ... boot to sms, boot to openprom and two more
which I can't remember.
all are disabled and it still boots to openprom !!

NiGeL

 
 
 

m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

Post by Jose Pina Coelh » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 09:03:38



> thanks for info
> there are 4 options ... boot to sms, boot to openprom and two more
> which I can't remember.
> all are disabled and it still boots to openprom !!

Weird!

Go to the support site (can't remember the URL, but you can start
at http://www.rs6000.ibm.com and download the latest microcode.

Follow the instructions to update the firmware.

If after that it keeps insisting, open a HW problem.

 
 
 

m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

Post by Dan Fost » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:30:48




>On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 05:45:57 +0000, Jose Pina Coelho


>>> I have a new M80 which with a 'shutdown -Fr' stops at the open boot
>>> prompt. Typing 'boot' will bring the system up ok, but reboot or
>>> shutdown -Fr always stops.
>>> I can't find anything obvious in sms menus etc.
>>> Any ideas/clues ?

>>shutdown the system

>>Press enter a couple of times on a terminal connected to the S1 or S2
>>port
>>that will wake the service processor.

>>One of the menus tells if it allows you to access the SMS menus during
>>startup.  One of the others says: "Boot to open prom boot prompt" (or
>>something like that)
>>turn it off.

>>Go to the power menu, power on.
>>Boot AIX, login as root, "shutdown -r now" to check if the problem was
>>solved.

>>(That option wasn't supposed to be on by default)

>thanks for info
>there are 4 options ... boot to sms, boot to openprom and two more
>which I can't remember.
>all are disabled and it still boots to openprom !!

At the OpenFirmware prompt, do this command:

printenv auto-boot?

Make sure 'auto-boot?' is set to true. If it is not, do:

setenv auto-boot? true

(you can also do just 'printenv' to see all the settings.)

-Dan

 
 
 

1. Redhat 7.1 'eepro100' and 'e100' drivers won't see 10BaseT network

I have a Dell 1550 machine which supposedly contains an OEM Intel LAN
interface.  I installed Redhat Linux 7.1 on it.  (Actually the updated
one from www.tummy.com/krud.)  During installation the LAN interfaces
were recognized as needing eepro100 drivers.  Following Dell's
instructions, I replaced the reference to eepro100 in /etc/modules.conf
with e100 and rebooted.  But neither before or after doing the above
will the machine talk in any way with a 10BaseT hub, even though the
boot-time scripts show '[OK]' for eth0 (and eth1).

This machine is currently at a location with no 100BaseT, so I haven't
tested to see if it will do 100BaseT.

Is there any known problem with these machines related to 10BaseT?

Note that 'man eepro100' and 'man e100' turned up nothing, so it appears
that these particular device drivers are undocumented.  Nor did various
searches for e100 and eepro100 at www.redhat.com and www.dell.com turn
up anything relevant to this problem.

Nor could I find any argument to 'ifconfig' that was able to force the
LAN interface into 10BaseT mode.  I had figured that all LAN interfaces
described as 10/100 would autonegotiate, but this one apparently does
not.

Suggestions would be welcome.  Please post or email as you consider
appropriate, but not both. Thank-you.
--
Rahul

2. netatalk config and multiple interfaces.

3. 'make' won't work w/o '-f Makefile', which sucks.

4. Commercial use of Apache

5. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

6. 7025-F50 keyboard doesn't respond

7. Can't boot lilo, getting 'Press a Key to Reboot'

8. Thermal sensors on UP2000

9. CD won't work, system won't reboot...please help

10. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

11. SCO 3.2v4 won't boot - hangs after 'kernel: i/o bufs'

12. Red Hat 6.2, Highpoint HPT366: installs fine, won't boot stopping at 'LI'

13. New kernel stops booting at ''finding module dependencies''