Modem setup

Post by S.. » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Can someone please help me setup a modem attached to the serial port of our
RS/6000 running AIX for dial-in access?  We're using an external US Robotics
Sportster 28.8 modem connected to a standard serial port on our RS/6000 running
AIX 4.1.

I'm don't know if I have the port configured wrong, or the modem setup wrong or
both.  If someone could please send me their configuration of how they've accomplished
this.

Thanks in advance!
Steve Schreiber

1. Modem, modem, modem, ... setup

I've seen messages w/ issues similar to mine, but their answers doesn't
include what I need.  Well, this is my problem...

I have an internal modem, winmodem, which I used in another machine
running RH Linux for the last two years w/out a hitch.  Now I'm setting
a small network at home, and the modem card was moved to another machine
also running Linux.  The problem is that I cannot get a hold of it.  I
know that the card under Win95 has the following setup:

Port:        COM4
Interrupt:  3
I/O Add.: 0x2E8
UART:    16550

Thus, I set up the card in the Linux machine as:

Port:        /dev/cua3
Interrupt:  3
I/O Add.: 0x2E8
UART:    16550

I ran "procinfo" before and after I installed the card to be able to
identify the interrupt and i/o address, and was able to see the modem
using the correct i/o address, but not the interrupt.  According to
"procinfo," no device is using IRQ 3.  Not even the modem, which is
setup w/ this IRQ.  I tried using minicom to give a try to the setup,
and no matter what I tried nothing happens; I cannot even hear the click
of the relays on the modem card.  And yes, I did initialized the card
correctly. Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Regards, Alex

"As always, everyone will thank you for your service and your actions
will not be disregarded."

2. Mouse Problem (Newbie)

3. Lasat 560i internal isapnp modem setup, sound card setup

4. COFF binaries support under x86?

5. USR Modem setup -- Setup Advice??

6. traceroute with Solaris OS as destination

7. Caldera 2.3 Modem Setup (Lucent OEM Modem)

8. PPP installation error tcgetattr

9. HELP MODEM SETUP!!! Global Village Teleport Modem 56K

10. Modem setup help, modem makes weird noise, will not dial.

11. modem setup

12. Newbie with modem setup problem!

13. Redhat 9 & iptable and adsl modem setup question