Diskless client fails to boot from RS6000 with twin ethernets

Diskless client fails to boot from RS6000 with twin ethernets

Post by N R Phel » Fri, 17 Jul 1992 19:23:34

I am trying to install a diskless RS6000/220 on an RS6000/530 server
with dual ethernet interfaces. I've read the Info Explorer warnings
about setting the hostname to be the same as the name assigned to the
interface through which the server talks to the client, and set the
name that appears in the SPOT to be the same as the name assigned to
the interface.  Both names appear in the DWM_AKA entry in the
dwm_platform file, and an add client runs with no errors reported.
Unfortunately the client fails to reboot, reporting 'c06' on the LED
display (can't determine type of boot, according to the docs). A quick
'ls -lru' on the server suggests that the client is getting as far as
mounting the root file system and accessing its /etc/hosts,
/etc/filesystems and /etc/swapspaces files, but not anything else in
/etc (including /etc/inittab). Any ideas where I should look next?

                Nigel Phelan, School of Maths, Bath University, UK

1. PXE boot with twin ethernet adapters: which MAC address gets transmitted?

I have two ethernet cards on my machine. If I enable PXE to be able to boot
over the ethenet the machine usually transmits its MAC address and listens
to see if a DHCP server responds, right?

Which one of the two MAC addresses will it be? Does the protocol specify?
Or does it transmit both?

--
Rahul

2. GoldStar&SoundBlaster

3. Booting Diskless Clients

4. Building XFree86 4.0.2

5. Setting up diskless booting linux clients

7. Type of diskless client on boot server

8. Unix errors

9. Diskless client boot problem

10. Booting problem diskless client

11. Routing problem with Sun Diskless client boot

12. My diskless client won't boot

13. Diskless Clients booting from SuSE-Server