weird ftp problem

Post by H?kan Winbo » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Are you by any chance using NIS ( YP ) ?
I  have found  that the stock AIX ftpd only authenticates against the local
passwd file.

I was just about to file an error report when I read the man page :
"The user must have a password in the password database,
     /etc/security/passwd. (If the user's password is not null, the client
process must
     provide that password.) "

I regard this "Feature" as BAD = (Broken As Designed ...) but  I guess
support just would reply WAD = ( Working As Designed)

Regards
/HW

> >When I log on as root-user and I ftp to an other - or my own - machine,
> >ftp works perfect. When I log on as ordinary user, the connection is
> >made, the login is asked, but ftp never asks the password and tells me
> >that login is failed.

weird ftp problem

Post by H?kan Winbo » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Are you by any chance using NIS ( YP ) ?
I  have found  that the stock AIX ftpd only authenticates against the local
passwd file.

I was just about to file an error report when I read the man page :
"The user must have a password in the password database,
     /etc/security/passwd. (If the user's password is not null, the client
process must
     provide that password.) "

I regard this "Feature" as BAD = (Broken As Designed ...) but  I guess
support just would reply WAD = ( Working As Designed)

Regards
/HW

> >When I log on as root-user and I ftp to an other - or my own - machine,
> >ftp works perfect. When I log on as ordinary user, the connection is
> >made, the login is asked, but ftp never asks the password and tells me
> >that login is failed.

weird ftp problem

Post by Phil Langerhol » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Check the permissions on /dev/tty, make sure they are 666, I had this
problem once before myself.

--
Phil Langerholc - DSD UNIX Systems Support
IBM Global Services - Service Delivery Center, Poughkeepsie, NY

weird ftp problem

Post by kurt_brem.. » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:10:11

> Hello,

> I have found the same question a couple of months ago also in this
> newsgroup, and now we are experiencing the same problem...but nobody
> has ever given an answer, I think...

> When I log on as root-user and I ftp to an other - or my own -
machine,
> ftp works perfect. When I log on as ordinary user, the connection is
> made, the login is asked, but ftp never asks the password and tells me
> that login is failed.

> As quoted by Denny Hardian:

> sxxfyynzz:username:/u/username>ftp sxxfyynzz
> Connected to sxxfyynzz.
> 220 sxxfyynzz FTP server (Version 4.1 Fri Jan 21 07:25:28 CST 2000)
> ready.
> Name (sxxfyynzz:username): username
> 331 Password required for username.
> 530 Login incorrect.
> Login failed.
> ftp> bye
> 221 Goodbye.
> sxxfyynzz:username:/u/username>

> We have exactly the same problem...

> A solution would be greatly appreciated...

> Kris Welleman

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

What about telnet? Does that work to the machines in question?
(Speculating about trouble with .netrc files)
K.B.

Post by k.. » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:21:39

> > Hello,

> > I have found the same question a couple of months ago also in this
> > newsgroup, and now we are experiencing the same problem...but nobody
> > has ever given an answer, I think...

> > When I log on as root-user and I ftp to an other - or my own -
> machine,
> > ftp works perfect. When I log on as ordinary user, the connection is
> > made, the login is asked, but ftp never asks the password and tells
me
> > that login is failed.

> > As quoted by Denny Hardian:

> > sxxfyynzz:username:/u/username>ftp sxxfyynzz
> > Connected to sxxfyynzz.
> > 220 sxxfyynzz FTP server (Version 4.1 Fri Jan 21 07:25:28 CST 2000)
> > ready.
> > Name (sxxfyynzz:username): username
> > 331 Password required for username.
> > 530 Login incorrect.
> > Login failed.
> > ftp> bye
> > 221 Goodbye.
> > sxxfyynzz:username:/u/username>

> > We have exactly the same problem...

> > A solution would be greatly appreciated...

> > Kris Welleman

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> What about telnet? Does that work to the machines in question?
> (Speculating about trouble with .netrc files)
> K.B.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Telnet, ping etc. work fine. When we automise the ftp (.netrc-file) the
ftp works also fine. But this isn't a solution if you want to ftp with
different users on the remote machine.
An ftp from the remote machine to our machine works also.

Kris Welleman

Kris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

weird ftp problem

Post by Hajo Ehler » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:07:16

Hi Kris,
since root can login but not any other user i suggest that you have an
filesystem security problem.
For trouble shooting create a new directory under "/" and create a user
which home directory will be there.
Check out now how ftp will behave on the new user.

Happy debuging

Hajo Ehlers

weird ftp problem

Post by kris_welle.. » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:49:19

Quote:> Hi Kris,
> since root can login but not any other user i suggest that you have an
> filesystem security problem.
> For trouble shooting create a new directory under "/" and create a
user
> which home directory will be there.
> Check out now how ftp will behave on the new user.

> Happy debuging

> Hajo Ehlers

Thanks,

But this isn't the solution. I have tried it and the result is the same.

Greets,

Kris

Post by kurt_brem.. » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:47:13

> Telnet, ping etc. work fine. When we automise the ftp (.netrc-file)
the
> ftp works also fine. But this isn't a solution if you want to ftp with
> different users on the remote machine.
> An ftp from the remote machine to our machine works also.

> Kris Welleman

> Kris

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the /etc/ftpusers file, but
in that case the login via .netrc should also be blocked (unless you
used a different user name)
K.B.

Post by Martin Pazderk » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:00:45

>When I log on as root-user and I ftp to an other - or my own - machine,
>ftp works perfect. When I log on as ordinary user, the connection is
>made, the login is asked, but ftp never asks the password and tells me
>that login is failed.

What shells are your users using, same as root?
Is the shell listed in /etc/security/login.cfg?

hth, Martin
--
Please use domain "gmx.net" when responding via smtp.

weird ftp problem

Post by kris_welle.. » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Thanks, this solved the problem...

Kris Welleman

> [...]

> > Connected to sxxfyynzz.
> > 220 sxxfyynzz FTP server (Version 4.1 Fri Jan 21 07:25:28 CST 2000)
> > ready.
> > Name (sxxfyynzz:username): username
> > 331 Password required for username.
> > 530 Login incorrect.
> > Login failed.
> > ftp> bye
> > 221 Goodbye.
> > sxxfyynzz:username:/u/username>

> > We have exactly the same problem...

> > A solution would be greatly appreciated...

> > Kris Welleman

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> --
> Phil Langerholc - DSD UNIX Systems Support
> IBM Global Services - Service Delivery Center, Poughkeepsie, NY
> e-mail pdlanger at you ess dot eye bee em dot com
> The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of my

1. weird ftp problems

I have two very strange problems that I have no idea how to fix. First, the most annoying:

When I use the linux ftp program to transfer files to another machine, the backspace key doesn't work right. The backspace is fine before I invoke ftp, and when I'm at the `ftp>' prompt it -appears- to work fine, but any command that I use the backspace on invariably returns `?Invalid command' after I hit return.
Any command I type in correctly the first time (no backspacing) works fine.

This is quite frustrating.

Problem #2: I have 2 486 machines running linux, both installed using SLS1.03. Yet only one exhibits this problem, which is strange since I set them both up almost exactly.
When I ftp to another host from the linux box, and type `put filename' it gives me this `Bad directory structure' command. Yet I know the directories are fine, and it does this on every directory.
Using ftp from another host to the linux box works perfectly.

Strange stuff. Any help would be mucho appreciated.

CDRS

2. dav refresh error

3. weird ftp problem

4. Problems for installing RH6.0 on AS200

5. An addition to BogoMIPS HOWTO

6. Weird ftp problem

7. Help: procedure to upgrade win98-->winxp on a dual Linux/Win 98 system

8. Help with weird FTP Problem ?

9. Weird FTP problems....

10. Weird ftp problem

11. Weird FTP problem