Those Pre-Install Blues

Post by Bruce Johns » Thu, 06 Dec 1990 10:30:27

        We just got a model 530 in and appear to have been bitten
by the same "feature" with pre-installed software.  Guessing our
way through installation procedures, we hit failures which have
been tracked to this huge /usr partition taking over the 355 MB
(unformatted) disk.  The failure turns out to be because the root
partition is full and has nowhere to grow.

        Now what?  We have succeeded in getting Wren VII's mounted
on external SCSI, so there is no problem with making a copy of the
entire set of file systems on the 355 if that will help.  That is,
we thought it might be possible to reconstruct /usr.  But we seem to
not even be able to umount /usr because it is always busy (probably
this pesky errdaemon that runs from there).  Is booting from a floppy
the way to do this?

        Thanks in advance for any help.

--
                                Bruce Johnson
                          Chemistry Dept, Rice Univ

Those Pre-Install Blues

Post by Tim Bro » Wed, 12 Dec 1990 05:58:27

>    We just got a model 530 in and appear to have been bitten
> by the same "feature" with pre-installed software.  Guessing our
> way through installation procedures, we hit failures which have
> been tracked to this huge /usr partition taking over the 355 MB
> (unformatted) disk.  The failure turns out to be because the root
> partition is full and has nowhere to grow.

>    Now what?  We have succeeded in getting Wren VII's mounted
> on external SCSI, so there is no problem with making a copy of the
> entire set of file systems on the 355 if that will help.  That is,
> we thought it might be possible to reconstruct /usr.  But we seem to
> not even be able to umount /usr because it is always busy (probably
> this pesky errdaemon that runs from there).  Is booting from a floppy
> the way to do this?

>    Thanks in advance for any help.

This should work, run killall as root.  Then perform the re-do.

--
Tim Brown            |
Computer Connection  |

Those Pre-Install Blues

Post by Mike Stefanik/781 » Tue, 01 Jan 1991 12:27:06

>    We just got a model 530 in and appear to have been bitten
> by the same "feature" with pre-installed software.  Guessing our
> way through installation procedures, we hit failures which have
> been tracked to this huge /usr partition taking over the 355 MB
> (unformatted) disk.  The failure turns out to be because the root
> partition is full and has nowhere to grow.

>    Now what?  We have succeeded in getting Wren VII's mounted
> on external SCSI, so there is no problem with making a copy of the
> entire set of file systems on the 355 if that will help.  That is,
> we thought it might be possible to reconstruct /usr.  But we seem to
> not even be able to umount /usr because it is always busy (probably
> this pesky errdaemon that runs from there).  Is booting from a floppy
> the way to do this?

I have run into the same sort of thing when trying to install a 320.
What I've done is backed the preloaded stuff on to tape (ala backup)
and then removed them.  Then, I would backup /usr and edit the
/etc/filesystems file so that /usr would "disappear".  When you reboot
the machine, it'll scream about not finding /usr, but you'll come up
anyway.  At that point, ed the /etc/filesystems file to put back the
/usr filesystem and rmfs /usr (to remove the filesystem).  Then use
mkfs to create a new /usr of modest size, and restore the filesystem
sans preloads.  Then reboot again.  When you install, install from
the tape you created of the preloads, and away you go.  As they install
they will tend to bloat /usr, but not to the point of eating the whole
disk.

Hope that helps.
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike
"If it was hard to code, it should be harder to use!"

Those Pre-Install Blues

Post by Louis A. Bloomfie » Thu, 03 Jan 1991 22:53:19

A number of individuals have noted difficulty in removing /usr in order
to compress that filesystem.  The reason /usr won't umount is that the
Korn Shell is holding on to it.  To compress /usr, I have done the following:

1) saved /usr to disk or tape and made a copy of /etc/filesystems
2) set root to use csh (not ksh) and logged in as root
3) telinit 1
4) killall -
5) umount /usr    (It will actually umount successfully)
6) destroyed /usr (the filesystem and logical volume)
7) recreated /usr (the logical volume and filesystem)
8) restored /usr from disk or tape
9) restored /etc/filesystems from the copy
10) telinit 2 (or rebooted)

It scared me to death, but it worked.  I don't know if saving the
/etc/filesystems was important, but I wanted to be sure that the
order of filesystems in that file didn't cause trouble.  One note of
warning:  once I had umounted /usr, SMIT stopped working well.  After
you umount /usr, try smit.  If you find that it is still usable,
you can proceed.  If not, learn how to do steps 6 to 8 from the csh.
I succeeded in using smit by typing cntl-N and cntl-P even though it
had great difficulty talking to my screen and keyboard.  I suppose it
lost some obvious terminal information file that I don't know about.
Anyway, my /usr directory is now just the right size and I hope never
to compress it again.

University of *ia

Those Pre-Install Blues

Post by Chuck Kari » Fri, 04 Jan 1991 04:19:23

Quote:>A number of individuals have noted difficulty in removing /usr in order
>to compress that filesystem.  The reason /usr won't umount is that the
>Korn Shell is holding on to it.

Not on my systems.  It's always /usr/lib/errdemon.

Quote:>2) set root to use csh (not ksh) and logged in as root

Put root's history file somewhere outside /usr and this shouldn't
be necessary.

Quote:>3) telinit 1
>4) killall -

This doesn't kill the errdemon process.  When I wanted to unmount
/usr last (to run fsck) I booted from diskettes.
--

        Mindcraft, Inc.         (415) 323-9000

1. cdrom Install hangs- SCO Blue screen blues

I am trying to install Openserver 5.0.4 onto a HP Vectra 75 MHz / 16
MB RAM, 840 MB HDD machine (yes it's old).

Linux used the "buggy" cmd 640 driver to sucessfully boot this puppy.
SCO is brain dead

Boot starts with
... stuff..
%adapter 0x170  - 0x177, vector = 15 - IDE secondary, driver= wd
%tape - - - IDE primary, cfg = slave, driver = Stp->wd
%cd-rom  -  -  -  IDE primary, cfg = slave, driver = Srom->wd
%disk 0x1F0-0x01F7, vector = 14 - w0, unit = 0, cyl=827, headwss = 32,
secs = 63
..more stuff...

so after this I hit return, and the blue screen:

Primary IDE/ secondary IDE = Set as secondary
Master cdrom / slave cdrom : No good here for any setting as slave

So I try various permutations, only master/ secondary IDE controller
is recognized, but then: "Testing the installation device and media"
yields NOTHING.  Actually it locks up.

Ideas?

2. linux from scratch (DOS, modem & floppies)

3. freeBSD pre-install questions

4. Telnet connection refused

5. Pre-install questions - newbie

6. installing solaris 9 on sparcstation 5 question

7. ports pre-install info?

8. Q. printers canon bcj80 brother mp21

9. pre-install distributions.

10. what is PRE-INSTALL

11. Pre-Install ?'s

12. RedHat 5.1 upgrade fails - reboots during pre-install phase

13. New Linux pre-install questions