P660 power subsystem problem

Post by Pawel Wozniczk » Fri, 16 May 2003 21:49:23

Hello

I'd like to ask about "machstat -f" command, which returns the value of PKSR
register.

Namely what does it mean when the return value is 32 ? From what I read from
rc.powerfail script the return value should be 0 if everything is ok.

thanks in advance

Pawel Wozniczka

Post by Ulrich Koern » Sat, 17 May 2003 17:58:18

> Hello

> I'd like to ask about "machstat -f" command, which returns the value of PKSR
> register.

> Namely what does it mean when the return value is 32 ? From what I read from
> rc.powerfail script the return value should be 0 if everything is ok.

> thanks in advance

> Pawel Wozniczka

Hello Pawel,

RC=32 is not a valid return code. It is a machstat error. Please have
a look at rc.powerfail (line 446 in AIX 5.1)

Regards - Ulrich

1. Enterprise 450 power on/power up problem woes

I've got an E450 that is giving me problems trying to power up.
I bought it used 2 years ago (used, suppose to be a Sun re manufactured
box).

This machine started out with just 2 power supplies in it.
About 1 year ago after a power outage, I power on the machine but it
won't come on. I look in the back at the 2 power supplies and on each
power supply I only have the first 2 of the 3 green lights lit.
So I turn it off and reseat the power supplies. Turn in on
(off/on?/off/on?) and then all 3 lights of each power supply are lit and
she boots up.

2 Days ago, I bought 2 used power supplies and tried them both out on
this machine to test them while it was running (hot swap). Both power
supplies lit up with 3 green lights. So I left one in this E450 so it
now has N+1 redundancy (3 total).

Now, today I power it down to add a DDS-3 tape drive. Install the tape
drive, power it up all OK. Until I realise the tape drive needs to be ID
5. So I power it down and do all the fixing. Power it up and now on all
3 power supplies, again only 2 of the 3 green lights are lit. Well I
then turn it off, tighten the front panel to the chassis thinking it
needs to be really grounded. Power it on and she starts up. But, now all
my drives on controller 2 are "missing". Power it off, jiggle the SCSI
cables etc. Turn the power switch on and now all 3 power supplies show
only 2 of 3 green lights on. She won't power up. Try reseating the power
supplies - no go. Put the other power supply that was good in to see
what it does, it too shows only 2 of 3 green lights on.
Turn off/on/off/on/off/on/off screw it went home. Here I am.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I cannot find any doc's covering
what each light on the power supply means. Or how to proceed from here.
This is a secondary server and I don't have a service contract on it.
The missing drives on the controller I can trouble shoot. But this
intermittent power supply problem I can't. I'm at my wits end here.
Help.

-Roger

2. aliases in modules.conf

3. Veritas Cluster Server and Storageworks connected to P660 running AIX 5.1

4. Newbie working up to Sys Admin

5. SSA Adapter 4-P (6225 & 6230) on RS/6000 P660

6. Dealing with ~user w/o valid /etc/passwd

7. Error message on IBM p660

8. Setserial and 115200 baud

9. P660 internal DDS-4 tape driver dirty head NO message???

10. problems installing RH5 onto new SCSI subsystem

11. Bug Report: System Crash - Memory Subsystem Problem.

12. LP subsystem problem

13. SSA Adapter or subsystem problem