Disk Array errors IBM Raid 7135

Post by Wilf Stato » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:52:24

Could someone please help.

Last year we upgraded from AIX3.3.5 to 4.2.1. Ever since we have been
getting temporary Disk array errors whenever one of the other systems is
rebooted. These generally have not been causing a problem but
occasionally a flurry of these errors causes some of the file systems to
get corrupted.

I point out this is only when a system is rebooted.

I have three IBM systems connected and have reduced it to one scsi
chain. The same thing happens. The raid is a 7135-110.

I have been told that this is a problem with release 4.2.1 and it will
be the same for 4.3.3 which we will be upgrading to soon.I have also
been told that there is no fix for it. (I can't find one anyway)

Thinking about it it almost seems as if the raid may be having its
microcode reloaded every time there is a reboot. I thought that a test
was done to see if it was already loaded if so don't load. any thoughts
from anyone.

Wilf

Disk Array errors IBM Raid 7135

Post by Simon Marches » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 05:45:55

Well, it's been a while since 3.2.5 was supported but AFAIK, there was a
special file set required to avoid this so I'd look at comparing what you
have now t owhat you had then with lslpp.

> Could someone please help.

> Last year we upgraded from AIX3.3.5 to 4.2.1. Ever since we have been
> getting temporary Disk array errors whenever one of the other systems is
> rebooted. These generally have not been causing a problem but
> occasionally a flurry of these errors causes some of the file systems to
> get corrupted.

> I point out this is only when a system is rebooted.

> I have three IBM systems connected and have reduced it to one scsi
> chain. The same thing happens. The raid is a 7135-110.

> I have been told that this is a problem with release 4.2.1 and it will
> be the same for 4.3.3 which we will be upgrading to soon.I have also
> been told that there is no fix for it. (I can't find one anyway)

> Thinking about it it almost seems as if the raid may be having its
> microcode reloaded every time there is a reboot. I thought that a test
> was done to see if it was already loaded if so don't load. any thoughts
> from anyone.

> Wilf

Disk Array errors IBM Raid 7135

Post by Wilf Stato » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:14:25

Thanks Simon,

I haven't been able to find any differences but this problem may be
going away soon as we are looking at replecing the raid before we
upgrade to 4.3.3.

Thanks for your help.

regards

Wilf

Post by Wilf Stato » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:17:39

Thanks Simon,

I haven't been able to find any differences but this problem may be
going away soon as we are looking at replacing the raid before we
upgrade to 4.3.3.

Thanks for your help.

regards

Wilf