Bizarre INFO problem with 3.1.5

Post by Rich Bra » Sun, 19 May 1991 06:35:16

After installing 3.1.5, I found that I couldn't run INFO; it died
with a syntax-error message whenever I tried to run it.  Investigating
further, I found that users who had 'csh' logins could run it; 'ksh'
logins couldn't.  And running 'csh' under 'ksh' didn't help.

The problem is the ENV environment variable.  The ksh shell uses this
to identify a script to be run at startup, and info causes another
shell to be executed.  Within this file, I had a 'set' command which
played around with the parameters ($1 $2 etc.).  This caused info to
die because it saw invalid parameters.

I thought I'd post this to let others know that it's probably a pretty
bad idea to use the 'set' command within a ksh ENV file.

-rich

Post by Ed Rav » Mon, 20 May 1991 10:38:36

>After installing 3.1.5, I found that I couldn't run INFO; it died
>with a syntax-error message whenever I tried to run it.
>The problem is the ENV environment variable.  The ksh shell uses this
>to identify a script to be run at startup, and info causes another
>shell to be executed.  Within this file, I had a 'set' command which
>played around with the parameters ($1 $2 etc.).  This caused info to
>die because it saw invalid parameters.

This sounds like the problem I had with both the "info" and the "xinit"

set if you don't put parameters on the script command line.  My ksh ENV
script used to do a "set -u" since I like that for shell programming.
This caused the info/xinit scripts to bomb.

The fix should be for a script to be smart enough not to include anyone
else's environment.  The standard way to do this is to use the -p option
to suppress reading profiles and ENV scripts -- e.g. at the top of the
script:

#!/bin/ksh -p

--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an

1. PCMCIA problem: Device info does not match JEDEC info!

I'm using PCMCIA Card and Socket Services version 2.6.0 on Linux
kernel version 1.2.8.  The following line of code is being reached
when it hits my IBM PCMCIA Credit Card Ethernet Adapter:

modules/bulkmem.c:342:  printk("cs: Device info does not match JEDEC info!\n");

The ethernet device is not initialized successfully.  I didn't see
this problem with earlier versions of the PCMCIA support.  I noticed
that some of the cards in the simple config file had "jedec" entries,
which are not documented in the man pages.  What is the JEDEC info?

I'm about to try reverting to an older version of the PCMCIA software.
Any other suggestions?

-Calvin

2. HyperThreading not working in 2.4.21-rc6-ac2

3. Bizarre Virtual Host Logging Problem

4. Memory Wierdness or is it?

5. Bizarre FTP/Modem problem: stalls on RPM files

6. Help!!! My friend can't use internet!

7. bizarre problem with X windows

8. GFP_ATOMIC error

9. Bizarre network application problem

10. Bizarre Print Problem with RH 7.1

11. Bizarre arp problem with Linux Fedora 'Yarrow'

12. Bizarre CD-Rom problem

13. Bizarre http problems